mp7 using oil

clpetty

What’s the coolant and air tanks looking like? If it’s burning it, you most likely won’t see it in the exhaust. Just when the dpf becomes plugged up. 

Edited by Onyx610

Just curious...  Can you pull the pipe off the back of the turbo to see if it is oily and such? Thats a lot of oil to lose with no obvious signs..  I would also think the DPF would have been clogged quickly.. Is there not excessive blow by? I know you said the CCV was clean.  I see  the mileage is low.. I'm curious, just because....  Jojo

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Just curious...  Can you pull the pipe off the back of the turbo to see if it is oily and such? Thats a lot of oil to lose with no obvious signs..  I would also think the DPF would have been clogged quickly.. Is there not excessive blow by? I know you said the CCV was clean.  I see  the mileage is low.. I'm curious, just because.... do you think a quart a week is a lot?  Terry:MackLogo:

Terry, are you asking me if a quart a week is a lot?  I say yes if it is, as well serviced as stated, and if it is, well serviced this issue should have been seen as it progressed, and not an ' all of a sudden'..  Of course, I do not know who is driving and how he/she is driving..  if this was an E-6 or E-7, with real work and age in it's history,,  no sweat,,keep squirting oil, til you need to do more to fix it..  but a 4 year old MP-7 with 190k???  dunno.. How many hours? and does it idle at 650 it's whole life?...  jojo

• Like 1

6 hours ago, clpetty said:

we have a 2019 mp7 using between 2-3 qts  of oil every 3 weeks with no signs of leaks or soot in exaust. the ccv is clean too. any ideas ? we cahnge  the oil every 450 hrs and all filters air oil and fuel.since day 1 truck has approx 190k now 

Not really ever see any oil consumption issues with the MP engines. Has any major engine work ever been done  to the engine? Have you changed to a different oil weight or brand lately? Mack is pretty specific on their oil rating . EOS-4.5/CK-4 is the recommendation rating . The MP7’s did have some CCV issues that blowed oil out and also low oil pressure warnings when in hot conditions but all that was fixed years ago. https://www.macktrucks.com/-/media/files/body-builder/manuals/heavy-duty/2022/mack-section-1--oil-and-filter.pdf?rev=3fe5689395524824988bae78e9d93183&hash=4A654651964E2CF482A1F80AB207CF46

• Like 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, clpetty said:

we have a 2019 mp7 using between 2-3 qts  of oil every 3 weeks

Any Idea how many Engines Hours/Miles between Top Ups...??

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

26 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

Not really ever see any oil consumption issues with the MP engines. Has any major engine work ever been done  to the engine? Have you changed to a different oil weight or brand lately? Mack is pretty specific on their oil rating . EOS-4.5/CK-4 is the recommendation rating . The MP7’s did have some CCV issues that blowed oil out and also low oil pressure warnings when in hot conditions but all that was fixed years ago. https://www.macktrucks.com/-/media/files/body-builder/manuals/heavy-duty/2022/mack-section-1--oil-and-filter.pdf?rev=3fe5689395524824988bae78e9d93183&hash=4A654651964E2CF482A1F80AB207CF46

yes they did and it’s too bad it’s not a filter that can just be replaced. It’s the whole module at 800 dollars. 

1 hour ago, Mackpro said:

We replaced tons of CCV’s on MP7’s. The brass nipple that directed the oil to spray the spinner filter to make it spin would fall out which would at times blow oil out the blow by hose . Fun times . 

Good times for sure, that job can be a pain in the ass too if you don’t do them a lot. Pry no biggie for you haha. Weird how it was really only mp7s. 

12 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Terry, are you asking me if a quart a week is a lot?  I say yes if it is, as well serviced as stated, and if it is, well serviced this issue should have been seen as it progressed, and not an ' all of a sudden'..  Of course, I do not know who is driving and how he/she is driving..  if this was an E-6 or E-7, with real work and age in it's history,,  no sweat,,keep squirting oil, til you need to do more to fix it..  but a 4 year old MP-7 with 190k???  dunno.. How many hours? and does it idle at 650 it's whole life?...  jojo

Guess I’m just used to the old E-6 and 7 that used to take a quart or two a day and run forever 😂. Terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

Terry,, I figured that was the idea..    Mp's are pretty good about not consuming oil.  Thats also why I posted about the E-6+E-7..  Im glad to know I'm on the same page as you sir..  Well,  it's a nice day here, today, and I need to finish the frame repair on my Yota..  Then update it in 'Shop Talk"  Cya  jojo   

P.S.  I hope he finds a simple reason for his oil usage...

Edited by Joey Mack
poor sperring..
  • Like 1

air line to dryer is clean and back side of turbo is fairly clean.. its been using oil since about 100k .and the undercarriage is dry. no visible leaks or usage of oil, thats what has me stumped. we are waiting for the oil sample to come back so we can get a better idea of whats going on.