Injector cup issues

We have not had any cup issues with any of our common rail engines. A few injector issues but none cup related. Still same injector cup but only 3 injectors are driven off the camshaft, which is why they fail. The camshaft/rocker arm rocks the injector back and forth eventually causing it to leak. That part is still the same but now you only have a 3 injectors to worry about leaking instead of 6. Still a crappy set up. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, upsman said:

Need to retorque the injector hold downs whenever you do an overhead so the injector doesn’t start pounding on the cup. 

Might help ! But  Proper HPCR would solve the problem ! However can teach an old dog new tricks! Its to bad they can't see the forest for the trees! But again if they leave it the way it is they can still sell injectors  and keep Mack pro busy for years to come! 🤣

I guess I should not have praised the common rail injectors on Thursday. Had a #.2 pumping injector go down . At least it wasn’t a cup issue.  If you ever get multiple injector faults check for DEF in the fuel . Lucky it was just a faulty injector this time . But we have had drivers talking on the phone/ distracted while fueling up and put DEF in the fuel tanks and eat the injectors up 

9438092B-D379-42B0-A51E-9FEAD80CCC3B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mackpro said:

I guess I should not have praised the common rail injectors on Thursday. Had a #.2 pumping injector go down . At least it wasn’t a cup issue.  If you ever get multiple injector faults check for DEF in the fuel . Lucky it was just a faulty injector this time . But we have had drivers talking on the phone/ distracted while fueling up and put DEF in the fuel tanks and eat the injectors up 

9438092B-D379-42B0-A51E-9FEAD80CCC3B.jpeg

Lol, damn I always thought DEF in the fuel was an extremely expensive mistake as it pretty much destroyed majority of the fuel system. 

14 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Lol, damn I always thought DEF in the fuel was an extremely expensive mistake as it pretty much destroyed majority of the fuel system. 

Yes. DEF in the fuel is a super expensive mistake. Mack has a bulletin on every thing that’s needs to be replaced and cleaned. 

Thanks for posting that, I’m out of likes for today haha. Crazy how much havoc that shit can cause. I always thought that once it made it into the tank it was essentially a whole fuel system replacement. Didn’t know def settled in fuel like that either. Have you had to do one of these jobs before? Must take a long time to do. 

9 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Thanks for posting that, I’m out of likes for today haha. Crazy how much havoc that shit can cause. I always thought that once it made it into the tank it was essentially a whole fuel system replacement. Didn’t know def settled in fuel like that either. Have you had to do one of these jobs before? Must take a long time to do. 

DEF is basically mostly water.  It's like 32.5% urea (or something like that)  

9 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Wow yup pretty pricey  At least 12 grand worth of parts not to mention the labour! No get out of jail free card with any Volvo repair thou!