Will crack and start but will not remain running

Hello everyone, I have a 1997 Mack Rb with the E7 motor. I’ve recently put new oil filters and new fuel filters on her. Yet when I crack the truck over, sometimes she starts after much effort and sometimes she doesn’t. When she starts, I allow it to idle and after about 1 minute, it cuts off as tho it’s not getting enough fuel. She blows out thick white smoke 💨. I’ve had the fuel pick up pump rebuilt and it does the same thing. My next step is to dig out the fuel injection pump but I’m hoping someone could give some others things to try before I dig into doing that. Your knowledge & wisdom will be greatly appreciated. ???

Had a similar problem with one truck and couldn’t find any reason for the problem finally found a crack in the secondary fuel filter head it was sucking air through a tiny crack in the aluminum where the filter seals 

• Like 2

Pull the fuel filters off after it shuts down and see if the fuel level is too low to get picked up .  Another thought,,. If you pump the hand primer, (if it has one),  does it stay running?

Edited by Joey Mack
More content needed
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Mack-Aveli 79 said:

Hello everyone, I have a 1997 Mack Rb with the E7 motor. I’ve recently put new oil filters and new fuel filters on her. Yet when I crack the truck over, sometimes she starts after much effort and sometimes she doesn’t. When she starts, I allow it to idle and after about 1 minute, it cuts off as tho it’s not getting enough fuel. She blows out thick white smoke 💨. I’ve had the fuel pick up pump rebuilt and it does the same thing. My next step is to dig out the fuel injection pump but I’m hoping someone could give some others things to try before I dig into doing that. Your knowledge & wisdom will be greatly appreciated. ???

I highly doubt its the injection pump! Check the stuff Joe is mentioning ! Does it have A VMAC pump My Guess is yes! How ever! ? If its vmac is the check engine shut down lights coming on? low coolant (low or no  oil pressure ) would allow the econovance to not work hence the smoke!  check the oil level!

• Like 2

Well your sucking air, been that this started after changing the fuel filters I think that area is a good place to start

Lot's of good ideas already shared here 

Thick white smoke is air in the fuel

Thick grey smoke is oil

Thick black smoke is over fueling

Paul

• Like 1

I assume there is an electric plug on the governor housing?  It is a duetch plug..  they can develope loose connections, especially if they are not secured in the yoke that is bolted there