Cylinder pressure out intake port

ChallengeDave

Hello all! Got an interesting one here on my hands. Have a 95 E7 427 Vmac1 that I did a complete out of frame on about 20k-25k miles ago. Truck has been running great and pulling even better. Driver brought to my attention that he heard a strange noise on the driver side of the motor. So when I put my ear onto the CAC pipe going into the intake, all I could hear was a popping/wooshing sound. Took the pipe off and it was even louder when I fired it back up. First thing i did was cut out each cylinder and found that it would quite up only a little on cylinder number 1 when you killed that injector. Pulled valve covers and checked for valve clearance on number 1, checked everything else out visually while I was in there. everything looked great so far. Pulled the forward intake manifold and confirmed noise was coming from number 1. upon startup, you could see a puff of smoke come from number 1s intake port. So my thought was that I must have had a intake valve problem, so I pulled the cylinder head and wouldn't you know, both valves seem to be seating just fine. No visible damage to the piston, no bent push rods. So now I'm stumped. I'm looking for ideas on what i may have missed, ill take any ideas you guys might have. Thanks!

1 minute ago, ChallengeDave said:

Out of frame, block, cam heads, everything got sent out. just working on turning it over now. I can see them from up top with the head off. Ill keep you just posted.

Check for a bent push rod also!

• Like 1

in his post he said new cam..  unless I read it wrong, but I didnt see new lifters..  heck,  anything could have happened..   How do we know his driver didn't over rev. it,  on a downhill run, ?   I did fleet management for a long time and I heard so many story's,,,,,,,   looking back, my brain would hurt trying to figure out the B.S. ...  Yep, another one of my opinion's..   :)  jojo

• Like 2

I looked back.....  He said ALL got sent out...   so he may not have been involved in the actual install's..  No offense, just trying to get a better perspective...    jojo

28 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I looked back.....  He said ALL got sent out...   so he may not have been involved in the actual install's..  No offense, just trying to get a better perspective...    jojo

We will see tomorrow Joe I’m sure he will post his findings! If it is the lifter / cam failure it is definitely nothing to do with his rebuild skills! And more on what you mentioned overspeed !There is a remote possibility it’s a valve issue!

• Like 1

issues like this is one of the main reasons i always  cleaned the drain oil pan before removing the pan plug. have had my b-lls  broke ;"why you washing out the drain pan"?  because it let me know any foreign matter in that pan came from the engine i'm working on.  have seen drain pans with so much crud from other stuff.  

• Like 2