ENDT 673 Liner has pitting, I don't know how???

Joey Mack

I appreciate you Glenn..  I knew about the .002" crush fit.  The engine that I have is a '20 bolt'..  It just baffles me how that one NEW liner got pitted like that.  There wasnt any rust, to indicate water was there. and it seemed like it was in line with where a piston ring was, while it was sitting. It did sit for a few months untouched, but I kept it covered and oiled.. Anyway,  I may never know..  I do know that before I pull the liner, I will mark block with paint, where the pitting is, and see if there is a defect or bump or whatever, in the counterbore..  jojo

6 hours ago, fjh said:

Joey ! When you up root that liner check the outside of it for size markings ! They offered P numbers on these ! Glenn correct me if I'm wrong But   OVERSIZED  liners weren't uncommon  can't remember the sizes 2 thou increments I believe ! I have installed up to 10 thou over before! pain in the ass honed for ever!

>002 is as big as i ever honed block to and i think if they need more honing we pulled them out and sent block to mach shop and let them bore to maybe .020.

• Thanks 1

glenn akers

1 hour ago, theakerstwo said:

You are correct on the .002 over size.I have hone that much out of the block before and it takes some time.I remember our red headed night foreman as homing a block one night with a maybe 3/4 drill motor that was very slow speed.i saw him run the sun hone too deep in the block and hang the crank which in return stop the drill motor by slapping him in the cods with one of the handles of the drill.He set down on the fender of the B model and just set there.I say do you hurt and he say yes then he drops his pant to find one cod with no skin on it.Thats when i started to hurt. Those old END 170 engine was bad to deform the block bore.Later engines with the 20 head bolt heads was not that bad and they let the liner be installed some looser.

TMI........Yikes    That's dedication to your job right there

2 minutes ago, BOBWhite said:

Does your shop have some sort of metal mites? :whistling:

You've got me stumped. Could have gotten some sort of acid on it or an electric ark shorted on it. Never thought I'd blame ball lightning for liner pitting. 

That fella Glenn mentioned almost experienced some ball lightening with that liner 

• Haha 1

Bob,,,  I have no clue... I know that no matter how many jobs iv'e done, Out of nowhere here come a 'Monkey wrench' ...  It's a WTF??  moment for me..  I had the block wokred over at a machine shop, and asked them to press the liners for me, because at the time I didnt have a liner press..  Buddy I don't know, but this weekend, when I have free time,, she's comin' out !!

• 3 weeks later...

No,,  Thanks for asking..   I have been busy with my J-O-B,  and taking care of my own trucks and the house..  I probably wont get back to it for a couple weeks. I have a customers Mack Quad Dump truck coming to my shop next weekend..  I promise I will update, with pictures as well..  jojo

I was wondering about something like that.  I didnt have any water in the cylinders during storage, yes some moisture got to the deck, but it practically wiped right off.  I did use some 320 cloth to shine it up, and it came out great. I still have to pull that liner, no way that I would let stay..  a new muzzle loader kit is about $250.00..   jojo