Increasing hp on E7 350

I have searched the site and internet for a while now and I give up! Lol trying to increase the hp on a e7 350 in my 02 cv713 granite dump truck I have. It does pretty ok but it is definitely falling behind. At the quarry it works at, it misses out on an average of 1 load a day compared to all the other trucks running out of the quarry. Not looking to make a hot rod just want it to be able to run respectably with the 425-475 hp trucks it runs with daily.

a good friend of mine ran several Mack’s in this era of trucks, he said he’s pretty sure the e7 350 can be flashed to 460 without changing any hard parts. That would be great if possible. 
I also have jpro and Vmack but can only get jpro to connect to the truck. Have also been waiting on the dealer for 2 months to get it in to put a 460 file in it and am tired of waiting on them.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

02 cv713 tri axle dump

00 rd688 tandem dump

12 kw w900 tri axle dump with a hot c15 😈

16 Pete 367 tri axle dump

22 Pete 567 tri axle dump

When going from 350 to 460 on any ETECH style engine will at least require turbo and injectors. If it’s the first series of ETECH then the cam key will need to be replaced with a off set keyway or it will overheat in the summer. Also some of the ETECH 350 has a smaller vibration damper on them. Mack made us put the bigger damper on even if we bumped it to 400 HP. The CCRS and ASET series all use the straight cam key way regardless of HP rating. Yours being a 2002 could have either the regular ETECH or the CCRS engine.  One way to tell the difference is regular ETECH has a plastic push on fuel return line coming off either the very front or very back to the cylinder head and goes to the fuel pressure regulator on the RH side of the engine block above the air compressor. I can have my guy pull up the build info and engine type . Just need the last 6 of VIN . Remember the ETECH . CCRS  and ASET engines are just 11 liter engines. Comparing a 400 ETECH to a 400 CAT or Cummins are to wildly different animals. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mackpro said:

When going from 350 to 460 on any ETECH style engine will at least require turbo and injectors. If it’s the first series of ETECH then the cam key will need to be replaced with a off set keyway or it will overheat in the summer. Also some of the ETECH 350 has a smaller vibration damper on them. Mack made us put the bigger damper on even if we bumped it to 400 HP. The CCRS and ASET series all use the straight cam key way regardless of HP rating. Yours being a 2002 could have either the regular ETECH or the CCRS engine.  One way to tell the difference is regular ETECH has a plastic push on fuel return line coming off either the very front or very back to the cylinder head and goes to the fuel pressure regulator on the RH side of the engine block above the air compressor. I can have my guy pull up the build info and engine type . Just need the last 6 of VIN . Remember the ETECH . CCRS  and ASET engines are just 11 liter engines. Comparing a 400 ETECH to a 400 CAT or Cummins are to wildly different animals. 

The last 6 are 003215. Thank you very much for the reply! Depending on the cost of the turbo and injectors, I would be open to upgrading them.

02 cv713 tri axle dump

00 rd688 tandem dump

12 kw w900 tri axle dump with a hot c15 😈

16 Pete 367 tri axle dump

22 Pete 567 tri axle dump

Good news , bad news and good news again . Good news is yours is a CCRS engine so cam keyway is not a issue. Bad news , going to 460 is a royal pain. Turbo and injectors have to be replaced and have to add in a boost sensor and wire it to ECM if not equipped. Even worse news is the CCRS 460 is you have to use the problematic wastegate turbo that can derate at any given moment if the boost pressure is not perfect. However here is the good news. The CCRS 350,400 and 427 use the same injectors. Best bet is to jump up to the 427 , you will still need a bigger turbo but it won’t be a waste gated one plus you don’t have to change injectors. We detuned a lot of CCRS 460’s down to 427 just because of the turbo problems . 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think they make it anymore for the E-tech but we have the blixxton tuner on our 99 460. Cost 1400 but it woke it up. If you mash it between gears it throws out smoke the entire length of a 53 footer. Cleans up really quick. 

Actually don't get the Rochester turbo kit. Get a S475, it's also called the 171702. A lot of guys that tune a 60 series will use that turbo. You can get em for 650-700$ genuine Borg Warner. If you feel the 1.32a/r exhaust housing is too laggy you can buy a 1.15 for around 200$ and your throttle response will be instant but it will sacrifice top end breathing 

Idk the stock impeller size for your oem turbo but it's small compared to the 75mm Borg. 

I run that turbo on a fully mechanical E7 with Rochester injectors and the rack opened all the way. I walk all over MP8s and isx's 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 9:40 PM, JoeH said:

Check your boost, you should be seeing 30+psi stock.  You could be losing power quietly.  Also check your pyro temps, if they're high (1100+) then it's starving for air.

30+ psi on a 350? I don't know about that, could be for the E-tech but the old vmac1-2 was about 24 psi for the 350. 

2 hours ago, brettj3876 said:

30+ psi on a 350? I don't know about that, could be for the E-tech but the old vmac1-2 was about 24 psi for the 350. 

My mechanical 1995 e7-350 makes 33 psi once I replaced the charge air cooler. Had a crack down the right front between the crossover lines and the tank. Used to top out at 25 psi for years, til it started dipping down to 22.  Pyro temps had always been a bit high, wasn't uncommon to push 1200 pulling a hard hill.  Now I'm getting 33 psi and it has to be a long hard hill to hit 1000 on the pyro.

• Like 1

Does your engine tag say ETECH 350 or AI-350?  2003 started the AI-350, which used a restrictive exhaust manifold and turbo and an extra bump on the exhaust cam lobes to make the engine suck exhaust back into the engine on the intake stroke.  If I recall properly, the AI-350 was actually introduced mid year in 2002. If you have one of these then you can delete the garbage components and install non garbage versions from earlier years. There's a thread on here somewhere with all the info on it.

53 minutes ago, JoeH said:

My mechanical 1995 e7-350 makes 33 psi once I replaced the charge air cooler. Had a crack down the right front between the crossover lines and the tank. Used to top out at 25 psi for years, til it started dipping down to 22.  Pyro temps had always been a bit high, wasn't uncommon to push 1200 pulling a hard hill.  Now I'm getting 33 psi and it has to be a long hard hill to hit 1000 on the pyro.

I remember reading that thread. We replaced the CAC about 4 years ago, same symptoms. I'm not surprised the full mechanical 350 makes more boost than vmac 

• 1 year later...
On 11/28/2022 at 12:06 PM, brettj3876 said:

I run that turbo on a fully mechanical E7 with Rochester injectors and the rack opened all the way. I walk all over MP8s and isx's 

Driven responsibly, does that set-up return reasonable fuel mileage? 

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.