What tools to undo big nut on meritor diff yolk?

The Nitro

I have bought a new yolk, nut, seal, and uni joint for front diff input as the uni caps are spinning inside the straps and want to fix it if i can.

what kind of impact wrench would i need to undo this nut? I dont have any impact gun or pullers yet but dont want to buy say a makita 40v 3/4 impact wrench for $1000 here in Au if it wont undo that big nut.

any help appreciated thanks. Its a meritor 160 series diff

I use a Makita 18v 3/4" gun, usually works well, if not, gas axe on the nut to free it up does the job.

You can also cut some shims out of an aluminium can to tighten the caps up in the straps if the uni is still in good nick.

• Like 1

good idea about the shims..  here in the states we get trained to "Replace"  but a "Mechanic" can re-use and Fix it !!  I have a hard time, at times, explaining that you can, "Fix It!"   jojo

• Like 1

I have a yearly inspection coming up so just bought the parts already. Was deciding wether to get the 40v makita 3/4 or a bigger 1 inch air gun. The cordless would be preffered as i could use it for other stuff out in the field if its up to the task. I thought about the soda can trick but my luck if would half fall out on the way in fir inspection and they would see it and kick my ass lol

10 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

good idea about the shims..  here in the states we get trained to "Replace"  but a "Mechanic" can re-use and Fix it !!  I have a hard time, at times, explaining that you can, "Fix It!"   jojo

used that beer can shim on many a U joints!   terry:MackLogo:

On 10/28/2022 at 9:52 PM, Joey Mack said:

When you use the impact gun to remove/install the yoke nut,  do the best you can to hold the yoke with a homemade tool or your hand to keep the hammering of the gun from causing a clashing of the gears in the rear end.. do not rely on the ring and pinion to be the holder for the impact gun...  jojo

quick/cheap yoke holding tool is a ;; cut to length 4x4. cut a tad longer then yoke sitting horizontal to ground . you really want a fancy "tool" then 2 nails on opposite sides of the 4x4  to connect a short bungee cord over the yoke, it holds the yoke to the 4x4 tighter so you can put full effort in the impact gun . takes ALL the shock from traveling to the gear train. on a real budget then use a 2x4. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found a 40v makita 3/4 impact a few towns away and got it sent over. Walked around all the tool shops in our town wirh the new nut in my hand and no one had a 56mm socket to fit the nut lol.

thought I was in luck in one shop when I saw a shelf with the big sockets on the wall. Walks over and they had a 55 and a 57. 56 was gone haha. Will have to order one. Trucks grounded anyway as I wait patiently for new electric tarp cover to be made by local upholsterer. Been waiting 3 weeks for the actual material to turn up. Starting to thing theres a shortage maybe. 

One of These & a 10 yr Kid can undo your Yoke Nut..

https://www.maxiparts.com.au/CA3770-1-and-quot-drv-big-boy-torque-multiplier

They're also Handy to carry with you to undo wheel Nuts when you get a Flat..

• Like 2

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -