Mack Granite Insulator pads

Dalton1

So true My Yankee brothers...   I have been in N.C. for 16 years..  I rarely ever have to break out the torches to loosen bolts..  I got spoiled working on trucks with no rust..   God bless you guys...   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

So true My Yankee brothers...   I have been in N.C. for 16 years..  I rarely ever have to break out the torches to loosen bolts..  I got spoiled working on trucks with no rust..   God bless you guys...   

you have lived both sides of it though. So now you have been spoiled. I do wonder what it’s like working on stuff that doesn’t have rust, pry wouldn’t need half the tools I have….

Back when the CV’s came out I used to hang out in the salesman’s office and watch him spec out dump trucks. The bottom pads were available in urethane and were a $350 option. No one ever wanted to spend the extra money so they always came with the standard rubber bottom pads. However if you ordered the truck from the factory with a 3rd axle( lift axle as we called them) installed at the “Mod center” , the urethane pads were standard. By the time the GU’s came around we went ahead and spec’ed them with the urethane pads . From what I hear from my buddies running out of the quarry, everyone ditched camelbacks and has been running the M-ride for the last 4 years . Had a few issues the first year and a half but that got straightened out and now no one around here wants to go back to camelbacks . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

Back when the CV’s came out I used to hang out in the salesman’s office and watch him spec out dump trucks. The bottom pads were available in urethane and were a $350 option. No one ever wanted to spend the extra money so they always came with the standard rubber bottom pads. However if you ordered the truck from the factory with a 3rd axle( lift axle as we called them) installed at the “Mod center” , the urethane pads were standard. By the time the GU’s came around we went ahead and spec’ed them with the urethane pads . From what I hear from my buddies running out of the quarry, everyone ditched camelbacks and has been running the M-ride for the last 4 years . Had a few issues the first year and a half but that got straightened out and now no one around here wants to go back to camelbacks . 

I could see them factory for a tri axle.  Apparently that M-ride is actually a very nice suspension with great articulation. No one wants to admit or stick it on their truck since it’s a Volvo idea. 

Edited by Onyx610
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

it's info like this that makes me feel like some of the older guys, who havent worked on the new stuff..  I dont know about M-Ride..  If it's good, then thats great for owners that need longevity..     jojo

Never worked on them Joey, but I do know about them….camel back is and always will be the true Mack heavy duty suspension. Volvo gets a bad rep. But they are truly keeping Mack going I believe, even though it’s just a name at this point. I think Mack was just at the end of their time getting on with current standards. Look at international and  detroit for example. Other companies have to come and buy them when they can’t meet todays bullshit “standards”. To be honest I think Volvo is turning out to be one of the better of the companies to buy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fjh said:

Unfortunately in my opinion  you are correct on all counts there   Onyx ! That V/ M ride   is one of the better ideas The V brand applied to the trucks ! The only weak spot is the axle pedestals  made of rubber with a safety chain inside the bonded rubber breaks free and the block tends to dance around on top! we sold a fare few MR Garbage packers with this stuff it was standing up quite well ! I had several customers that brought some older  Volvo dump trucks in for inspection Every six months and this was a fairly common occurrence ! Volvo ran this set up for a fair few years be for they offered it up on the Mack brand ! You don't want to take advantage of that pictured articulation to much OR  you will soon be replacing the block ends on a regular basis. just an observation!

I’m not right very often and really wish I wasn’t right with all this Mack/Volvo stuff. I don’t want to sound like a Volvo fanboy but it is what it is you know? I wish Mack was still Mack from Allentown, Pa. Hell I’d even take the Renault owned Mack. Sounds like you had a fair bit of experience with this suspension and surprisingly like it haha. You don’t see many out on the road. Are those axle pedestals the issue that was resolved a couple years later after they came out that Mackpro was talking about? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

I’m not right very often and really wish I wasn’t right with all this Mack/Volvo stuff. I don’t want to sound like a Volvo fanboy but it is what it is you know? I wish Mack was still Mack from Allentown, Pa. Hell I’d even take the Renault owned Mack. Sounds like you had a fair bit of experience with this suspension and surprisingly like it haha. You don’t see many out on the road. Are those axle pedestals the issue that was resolved a couple years later after they came out that Mackpro was talking about? 

Very likely  I believe the chain inside them was added for safety ! think that was the added fail safe! Pro could elaborate I stand corrected if this isn't the case  ! 

Not a fan of the torque rod set up on these how ever ................ It doesn't MATTER WHAT I THINK! 😂

• Haha 2

The weak-link we saw on the original ones was where the top  V torque rod was attached to the top of the Diff carrier. They did some minor updates then a couple years ago finally did a major diff carrier housing re-design and this solved the issue for good.  The only problem I have heard is where the V torque rod attaches to the frame . The bolts ( 2 bolts on each side) have been known to break in extreme loaded off road conditions. Theses are GU/GR tri axles max loaded 80,000 pounds+ on rough job sites. The bolts will break on one side and usually on the front drive. This usually tweaks the V torque rod where you can’t get the new bolts to line up and the V torque rod has to be replaced. We always replaced all the bolts while we were there. This was about 2-3 years ago . I have not heard of any problems since.  I have only heard of one with a broken leaf spring , a young boy at the shop changed it in less than 3 hours. All in all it is a good set up even though I mostly saw the bad side of them. As I said earlier, all my  dump truck buddies have no interest in going back to camelbacks. 

• Like 2

That suspension has been around for a while . If I remember correctly it had the most articulation of anything at the time (now TufTrac is close)  They were marketed as "The Gripper" or something like that. That was back when Volvos were really homely.  M Ride with double reduction drive axles, pretty hard to beat in the back of something going through soggy uneven ground.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I ain't no truck driver Have no real world experience I can only offer up the stuff I hear from the customers I have worked with over the years! The few customers that had the V ride set up Liked it! As you can see by the pic it has Good Flex as the four wheelers call it!

19 hours ago, Mark T said:

That suspension has been around for a while . If I remember correctly it had the most articulation of anything at the time (now TufTrac is close)  They were marketed as "The Gripper" or something like that. That was back when Volvos were really homely.  M Ride with double reduction drive axles, pretty hard to beat in the back of something going through soggy uneven ground.

Sounds like maybe a good option for doubleframe to look into on one of his next trucks.