Today's Rant

other dog

Just saw on TV that the auto bailout didn't pass, mainly because the UAW wouldn't agree to take a pay cut down to the same pay as Honda and Toyota workers get. So apparently they'd rather just close the doors and lose their jobs altogether, along with many more related jobs like steel, steel haulers, parts, etc.

I don't get it. When you figure in all the benefits with their wages they make around $75 an hour, or more in 2 hours than I make in a typical day, while non union workers at Honda and Toyota make about $35-$40 an hour- not too shabby.

Reminded me of something I read in the paper monday- a professional athlete, I forgot who it was, said they needed to make millions to feed their families, and some comedian said "what the hell are they eating, Mercedes sedans?"

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Just saw on TV that the auto bailout didn't pass, mainly because the UAW wouldn't agree to take a pay cut down to the same pay as Honda and Toyota workers get. So apparently they'd rather just close the doors and lose their jobs altogether, along with many more related jobs like steel, steel haulers, parts, etc.

I don't get it. When you figure in all the benefits with their wages they make around $75 an hour, or more in 2 hours than I make in a typical day, while non union workers at Honda and Toyota make about $35-$40 an hour- not too shabby.

Reminded me of something I read in the paper monday- a professional athlete, I forgot who it was, said they needed to make millions to feed their families, and some comedian said "what the hell are they eating, Mercedes sedans?"

AMEN

I am a 27 yr Union member, ( not UAW ), i seen the hand writing on the wall in my old line of work 10 yrs ago, I worked road constuction for some bigger companies in Ohio, and the work force was really getting out of hand, the old timers and the ones that knew what to do or did there job was no problem, but the newbes who wouldn,t run something if it didn,t have air and radio but wanted a big check, i am sure the UAW is full of the same, Let them go of the way of the Hudson if they can,t help save there jobs, WE all have seen big companies go away before and will again

I am a 27 yr Union member, ( not UAW ), i seen the hand writing on the wall in my old line of work 10 yrs ago, I worked road constuction for some bigger companies in Ohio, and the work force was really getting out of hand, the old timers and the ones that knew what to do or did there job was no problem, but the newbes who wouldn,t run something if it didn,t have air and radio but wanted a big check, i am sure the UAW is full of the same, Let them go of the way of the Hudson if they can,t help save there jobs, WE all have seen big companies go away before and will again

Yeah, i'm not anti-union BUT i've loaded at and delivered to many union steel plants and seen them in action (or maybe inaction is a better word!) so it's hard to feel much sympathy for them when they already make more than most of us for doing way less work. A truck driver called a radio talk show I was listening to a few weeks ago and his brother worked for Dana corp. and his father was retired from Dana. He said his father told him when they wanted a break somebody would throw a wrench in a machine or something so they could do nothing or 3 or 4 hours, while somebody fixed the machine. He also said his brother bid on jobs, and his job title was spill-cleanup-he just sat in a little office and read the paper until he had a spill cleanup to do, and that's the only thing he did.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

The automotive manufacturers are a private affair. Let them survive, or die with, and by their own means. When their fiscal cup of health was running over, where was their "sharing" of that wealth with the public that they are now asking for a bailout from?

These are not new companies going through "start up" cramps or learning curves. They have had many years to hone and perfect their operations.

Let the strong survive, the weak perish.

Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The automotive manufacturers are a private affair. Let them survive, or die with, and by their own means. When their fiscal cup of health was running over, where was their "sharing" of that wealth with the public that they are now asking for a bailout from?

These are not new companies going through "start up" cramps or learning curves. They have had many years to hone and perfect their operations.

Let the strong survive, the weak perish.

Rob

It makes me almost proud to see some politicians get a set of kohones and finally stand up for what is right, rather than for their own political interests at the taxpayer's expense. If these companies are left to their own devices, the contracts WILL be renegotiated, whether the union bosses like it or not. I say BOSSES because if given the choice, I think the working stiffs would rather give back a little than to lose their jobs altogether.

just heard on the news,bush says he's gonna step in and bail them out.
bush is taking care of his buddies like he always has. it makes me sick and pretty pissed off to see what this country (the leaders) have done to the working man. a lot of these politicians are not doing their jobs or haven't in a while. all of this didn't happen overnight. a lot of people were asleep at the switch.i've been driving for 40 years and in the real world if you didn't do your job you were fired. maybe the real world ought to go to washington,dc.if these people were paid for what they did they'd eat spam instead off steak. how many of them do you think ever had a real job before they were put on this lifelong paid vacation. there...i feel better.

and remember

"PREFORMANCE COUNTS"