Mack 427 vs mp7

I have no use for the MP engine...   It has good power, but when you have to fix it...  you will be pissed..  The AI Mack is decent, compared to an MP.... This is my opinion based on my knowledge of Mack's over the last 25 years..  As far as parts gettin'..  You will have to search a bit more for the Mack part's, but they are out there..  I will stop here, to see what else comes down the pike...   jojo

"04 MP7 ?   Personally I believe is one of the best engines ever made and cubic inch for cubic inch ??? not much runs like one.  Drivability is way better than an AMI with nothing done to it. "04 emission is an oddball. All by itself (which is likely what's in a '07 easy to spot as they are EGR only and no after treatment) They tend to puke injector cups on occasion (and there's no update) and have an appetite for EGR coolers (which ruins the mass air sensor....and module) and any one that's around now ?  who knows what it may or may not need. They have potential to last a long time , but if the hours are up over 20000, odds are it's just another old worn out engine .  A 395 that's in good shape ???  Probably you'd be happy with one in a ten wheeler . 

I do have to 'Bow down' to those of you that like the MP's..  They are very smooth running engines with a great power curve.  They certainly pull hard..  My point of view is from a mechanics point of view...   I dont care for an engine that needs injectors and cups every 200,000 miles or less. and when the rear mounted gear train has an issue, you have to pull the tranny, and the whole rear engine assembly to fix it.. I also dont like the fuel delivery system, where air can be introduced through the primer, and I also don't like the fact that to make these repairs you have to have thousands of dollars worth of tool's to fix it, and the knowledge to do so...  and then when you are done.... you may have to hook to P.T.T. and re-program some of what you installed...  lets not forget cam removal and replacement and that whole process.. If you have never done this repair,,,,    you better study up on it...  ask me how I know??  jojo

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

Very good low end power. Are you able to test drive the truck?

Yup descent power when running good! Luck of the draw as to the last statement!  No secret on where I stand on these! That said no better no worse than the rest of the throw away trucks being produced these days ! KW PETE and all others not exempt from the previous statement! Good luck to you on your search for the perfect truck! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!😁

Statement Not intended as click bait  just my opinion!

Just sayin! 

• Like 2

F, you're correct in my opinion. All these newer engines that are supposed to last so long seem like when anything goes wrong it's catastrophic. No matter the make.  Upwards of 30K for a in frame ?  find someone to actually do it ?   truck sits for minimum of weeks before they get to it and get parts...

Not like it used to be.

• Thanks 1

That's why I posted my take on this..    It suck's!!  Us older guys, were able to fix the trucks with our hands/heads/ and a damn good set of tool's...  have a service manual handy, and you get it done..  Nowaday's...   to make a Million dollars in trucking,,,,   start out with 2 Million.....   

• Like 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark T said:

I can remember when I was a kid  (I had no clue then what guys meant) guys say'n those transmissions with the bronze in them wouldn't ever be around long (lol)  Then it was the computer controlled engine (guys wanted their foot going to an injection pump)  Stuff is so complicated now and proprietary as well.  and yes....when there's an electric motor on each wheel end.... we'll miss what we have now.

Exactly my point. Not saying they are great to our standard and what most of you guys are really used to, but someday these MPs will be your guys e7 or whatever. 

• Like 2

I once watched some show on TV  . They had a CH of some form with an MP  (think it was a 7) race'n a Superliner with a E9.  So of course the CH got to the finish line first. I thought it woulda been much more interesting to try the same thing on a 6% grade grossed out to around 100K

There's somehting to be said about some of the older stuff

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

Someday everyone will be talking very highly of these engines and missing them. Probably talking like you guys are now about whatever is current. It was pry the same way when vmac1, vmac2, and vmac3 came out. Same with other companies like Cummins, Cat, and Detroit. I remember older guys telling stories about hating the series 60 ddec when it first came out. By no means do I want all these engines with emissions garbage all over them, but It’s only going to get worse.

Sad but true! You are correct on both counts! I swore I would quit when the drive by wire happened! I didn’t! I kinda evolved to it! That said it’s gone beyond what I want to think about! To much bs now not willing to evolve any longer don’t like the direction our and almost all industries have gone!

i surrender!

DONE!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have a Peterbilt now with a Paccar in it.  Can't do anything to it, and I don't mean silly stuff like delete.  Guy can't even change road speed or anything like that. Gotta go to Paccar.   I have to admit though, it does kinda make me think it's like picked up where the gray engine was abandoned 

!!! DON'T READ THIS POST JOEY !!!

Edited by Mark T
more information
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Onyx610 said:

As much as it sucks, atleast you guys got a lot of time working on, driving, and getting to hear/see all those older trucks in action. Most people these days didn’t get that opportunity. 

Sucks to be you bro.😂

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mark T said:

I have a Peterbilt now with a Paccar in it.  Can't do anything to it, and I don't mean silly stuff like delete.  Guy can't even change road speed or anything like that. Gotta go to Paccar.   I have to admit though, it does kinda make me think it's like picked up where the gray engine was abandoned 

!!! DON'T READ THIS POST JOEY !!!

That’s crazy! I don’t know much about those but I have heard they are like the worst of the worst in terms of the newer engines. As bad as the MPs can be sometimes I think they are on the top of the list for the best engines. Even Cummins has a lot of issues with their tier 4 engines. Cat was smart and got out of the market. 

Edited by Onyx610