235 Swap

Full Floater

This is the (upside down) part number off of the Mack branded rear main seal.  Appears to be the lip type seal, not the lead seal.  This one is a little oily (I cleaned it for the pic) so I guess I will be replacing it.  Looks like there is a wear ring on the crank that someone pounded on with a drift..    You can see the marks.  I haven't looked close enough at it yet to confirm if that's a wear ring, but im going to assume so.

Looks like they are still available here and there.  Hopefully with the plastic install sleeve.  I don't have the $700 install tool however.....

20230113_113608.jpg

Edited by Full Floater

Looks like a wear ring to me..  they are soft, so simple careful methods can remove it..  Don't tell anybody..... But I have used a very sharp wood chisel to cut into it before, once it loosens up you can use a needle nose to pull it off..  

just a thought from an ole man. i've found that using a FLAT punch on the wear ring ; tapping it in a number of spots as to expand the wear ring it will slide off. have also used the sharp chisel  attack. sometimes the chisel sinks deeper   than anticipated. have filled the resulting crease in crank hub with (back in the day) permatex .

• Like 2

can you make a flat plate with a few holes in it and evenly take  it up with bolts to push the wear ring on til its flush,  then use the flywheel to recess the wear ring.. I beleive the flywheel fits over the crank hub just a bit  around 1/32nd "  ..  anyone else ever done that?  I have on an E-7 in a pinch..

Edited by Joey Mack
poor sperring..
  • Like 2

To remove it i myself have many times used a torch with a long cold blaze and melt but not blow it into.Dont hurt crank and to install i heat wear ring on a crank that i dont have the tool ,with a long blaze from a torch and start it on then as Joey said push it on with the flywheel.By heating it a little you can push in on but you dont know how much so use the flywheel.I have the tool for front and rear of a mack.

glenn akers

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

can you make a flat plate with a few holes in it an d even take  it up with bolts to push the wear ring on til its flush,  then use the flywheel to recess the wear ring.. I beleive the flywheel fits over the crank hub just a bit  around 1/32nd "  ..  anyone else ever done that?  I have on an E-7 in a pinch..

Now that's an idea!!!

23 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

just a thought from an ole man. i've found that using a FLAT punch on the wear ring ; tapping it in a number of spots as to expand the wear ring it will slide off. have also used the sharp chisel  attack. sometimes the chisel sinks deeper   than anticipated. have filled the resulting crease in crank hub with (back in the day) permatex .

OTC T30 tire bar works best just the right hook angle but on e6 you need to be careful where you pry the seal housing is aluminum pry next to a bolt! works on E9 E7 E6 just be careful with aluminum bell housings!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fjh said:

OTC T30 tire bar works best just the right hook angle but on e6 you need to be careful where you pry the seal housing is aluminum pry next to a bolt! works on E9 E7 E6 just be careful with aluminum bell housings!

Could it be taken off with the seal housing removed?  And just to confirm, the seal gets installed into the housing "prior" to installing over the crank, correct?   And is RTV adequate for a seal housing sealant or is there a gasket needed?

Fjh....I see you are from BC?   Me to.

1 hour ago, Full Floater said:

Could it be taken off with the seal housing removed?  And just to confirm, the seal gets installed into the housing "prior" to installing over the crank, correct?   And is RTV adequate for a seal housing sealant or is there a gasket needed?

Fjh....I see you are from BC?   Me to.

Yup to both! If you are going to do it this way follow Joe’s instructions there ! I’m am an island guy! I suggest you put the wiper ring on before you install the seal housing small amount of silicone on the crank thin skim!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update.  This is the rear main seal and wear ring kit that I purchased.   Fitment was perfect.  Heated the wear sleeve up and it slid over the crank flange with little effort and cooled to a tight fit.  Froze the rear main seal and was able to get it seated fully into the housing without using the special service seal tool.

https://www.woodlineparts.com/products/pai-ekt-3800-mack-57gc186a-rear-seal-and-wear-ring-kit-made-in-usa?_pos=1&_sid=5edee4cc7&_ss=r

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fjh said:

Good job bro never tried doing either of those methods nice to know it worked! Just a side note the fly wheel will push the wear ring in a tad so make sure your seal is in deep enough that it doesn't rub the dust lip! the other worry is  the wear ring being heated you would have no sealant under the ring! we had one of these cause a three time re and re in the worst model flat fender RD  12 speed due to the ring slipping on the crank once the engine warmed up due to a poor wiper  ring install!

Just sayin!

Hmmmmm.....good point on the sealant.

The manual did state to heat the ring to 400*f and made no mention of sealant..

Edited by Full Floater

5 hours ago, Full Floater said:

20230203_091707.jpg

I think you'll be fine the heat install is probably a good thing as it will likely shrink tight! the  proper tool for this pushes the wiper and the seal in one swoop! The ring will be pushed in by the flywheel as long as the dust lip clears the flywheel all will be good! Back in the day they had a rather useless ring installer had four adjustable tabs on it for installing it the way you have done!

Good call FJH.. I do know that the outer oil seal lip needs to be recessed over an 1/8" from the end of the crank shaft.  The overlap of the fly wheel will grab the seal lip, and when you rotate the engine, it will tear it off..  You can measure the depth of the flywheel recess to determine a good seal depth. Jojo

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

no..  you saw the condition of the crank..  If it was perfect.... 'roll-on'..  or ... do what you think you need to do...

The crank looked good, to my naked eye, and the sleeve is sure tight after cooling down, so I "think" it should be leak free

• Like 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, the engine is now in, running and looking good.  No leaks.  In the final stages of buttoning everything up.   Im at clutch adjustment time.  I got the 1/2'' between the throw-out bearing and clutch brake set, now im needing to adjust freeplay in the linkage/cable. 

There is this style linkage on the bellhousing.  Which my other Macks don't have.  There appears to be some adjustments that can be made with it.   I figured id chime in here before I start messing with it, to see if there is a proper procedure. 

Thanks

20230320_161913.jpg