1994 MACK ch 350 hp water pump replacement

usrjcro11

I always used new factory bolts when installing a water pump on the E7’s . The new bolts come with thread sealant already applied. Back in 2002 Mack sent out a bulletin SB-215-021 to address issues with water pump bolts breaking, stretching and coming loose. This was at the request of UPS due to issues they we’re having with their trucks. I remember talking to the Mack fleet rep for UPS about the bulletin. It involved using 7 longer bolts and spacers for more clamping force and to help with bolt stretch. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

If the link works, type in water pump in the search and all the bulletins will show up for the grey engines. If you type in coolant pump you will get bulletins for the MP engines. Once you choose the bulletin, click print/save file and you can view . https://macktrucks.vg-emedia.com/ProductListing.aspx?GroupId=535

I found it odd that this issue came along ! These bolts never had an issue till they changed to metric stuff! I believe these were fine thread on E6 maybe this was the reason! Can't remember ! 

3 minutes ago, fjh said:

I found it odd that this issue came along ! These bolts never had an issue till they changed to metric stuff! I believe these were fine thread on E6 maybe this was the reason! Can't remember ! 

Very very possible. We had so many bolts breaking back then I bought a angle drill so I wouldn’t have to pull the water pump housing off . The lower driver side bolt always seem to break when removing if not already broken. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I bought the same drill for the same reason....  Too funny.  many times with a lefty drill bit, it will catch and screw the bolt out, a regular bit will screw it through and the rag in the hole would catch the bolt..    :) jojo

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Vmac3 said:

Wasn't there an update to the fan shroud and water pump that located it lower in the chassis?

V

Yes , when the CX first came out in 2000, the ones with 427 and 460 HP’s were running hot. SB-232-016 bulletin that came out in 2001 showed part numbers and how to install the low mount kit.  Only the very first CX’s needed the kit.  By October 2000 it was standard on all the CX’s. 

• Like 1