T2070 Transmission Question

67RModel

I see in Mack publications there is a "long compound" and a "short compound" T2070 transmission. How do I know which one I have? I am trying to purchase a manual for it but I want to buy the correct one. Is there a measurement or easy way to tell from just looking at it? Its in a 1994 RD690. Thanks.

Pretty easy way. Long compound T200's had cylindrical shift cylinder housing attached to the rear end of the transmission housing above the prop shaft flange. Short compartment versions have that cylunder hidden below the top cover of the compound housing so you don't see anything sticking out above the prop shaft. Also there's a PTO flange (usually plugged with steel cover) on the long compound housing and short version didn't have any side covers. Actually long compound housing is nearly 15 cm longer than the short. So easy to figure out if you have another style ever seen.

BTW I'm not sure T2070 was offered in the short compound version. T2080 was.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Hope it's not difficult to fugure which one is long and short. The particular pics represent short version T2090 (I have almost similar T2060 in a truck) and the 2nd unit is the spoken T2070 long compound I installed on my R in place of the "short" nine speed. Had to cut the prop shaft and tinker with shifter air lines a bit.

IMG_20201106_110916_resize.jpg

May.2018. 077_resize.jpg

• Like 1

Thank You. This is what I needed.

33 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

BTW I'm not sure T2070 was offered in the short compound version. T2080 was.

Yea I guess I'm not sure either but several of the T2070 manuals I see have "short compound" on the cover so I guess it was made at some point in time. Thanks again.

18 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

Yea I guess I'm not sure either but several of the T2070 manuals I see have "short compound" on the cover so I guess it was made at some point in time. Thanks again.

You are probably right. I have only a few Mack tranny manuals but one about T2070 represents long compound only. Also there's a brochure (below) posted on here in the past which also describes T2070 in the long housing only (note the length in the list). And two actual 7-speed trannies I could adopt locally both have long 2nd housing. On the other hand I see no reason a 7-speed can not be done in the short version.

tra0271_1-vi.jpg

tra0271_2-vi.jpg

Yea now I’m not sure what I saw in the manuals I was looking at. I think I was looking at several different T20”X”0 manuals and kept seeing the two different terms and just assumed the 2070 came in both types. At least I can tell the difference now.

5 hours ago, Vladislav said:

You are probably right. I have only a few Mack tranny manuals but one about T2070 represents long compound only. Also there's a brochure (below) posted on here in the past which also describes T2070 in the long housing only (note the length in the list). And two actual 7-speed trannies I could adopt locally both have long 2nd housing. On the other hand I see no reason a 7-speed can not be done in the short version.

tra0271_1-vi.jpg

tra0271_2-vi.jpg

anyone notice the T-2070B doesn't have a fourth gear , I know it does; missprint 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

that picture shows a 2070-B... which means multi speed reverse.  so the back box will be longer..  correct me if im wrong... jojo

I have a manual which is entitled as T2070A. Common reverse style but long rear compound. In fact it's half empty compartment if you look through the top cover opening. There's space for the reverse setup but it doesn't take place. Probably the reason is possibility to install PTO. Short compound housing doesn't have the mounting as I mentioned above.