ENDT676 INTERCHANGEABLE WITH OTHER 2 VALVES.

RFCDrum

Howdy been a while. I currently have as a spare motor for my R Model dump another ENDT 676 283 HP. Somebody I know is restoring their 85 RD steel hood single axle that has the 2 valve 300 plus in her. Will certain parts such as the heads and whatever else be interchangeable to work on that 300? Question is he wanted the heads I told him I would sell him the motor. He is interested but I wasn't sure till I got more info. Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers, Rob.

Thanks for the input guys. I won't part out that motor. If anything I'll keep it because I'm probably going to sell my R model this year. The 676 in my truck needs a cam. I would sell including the motor and some other parts I have. Truck has been sitting and I have to get my International going. 

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Can't get the cam through the dealer anymore, I'd hang on to that motor for parts. We have one from 81 that's given parts to most of our fleet.

Yea, that is what I'm leaning towards. Better selling point to keep spare with truck. This Spring I will get it going and put first dibbs on here first. 

If you need to pull the cam out, use zip ties to hold all the lifters up. I managed to pull the cam out as well as one lifter on our spare motor without having to take the oil pan off. (Our spare motor is bolted to a homemade engine stand that makes oil pan removal difficult, but let's us move it around on the forklift). Stuff the old cam in to keep the lifters from dropping during storage.

The lifter was a challenge to get out, I had to make some sort of a rod to reach through the cam bearing assembly to catch the lifter from falling into the oil pan.

Edited by JoeH
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If you need to pull the cam out, use zip ties to hold all the lifters up. I managed to pull the cam out as well as one lifter on our spare motor without having to take the oil pan off. (Our spare motor is bolted to a homemade engine stand that makes oil pan removal difficult, but let's us move it around on the forklift). Stuff the old cam in to keep the lifters from dropping during storage.

The lifter was a challenge to get out, I had to make some sort of a rod to reach through the cam bearing assembly to catch the lifter from falling into the oil pan.

wooden clothes pins (oops no one knows what they  are 😆)LOL  always worked well  for holding up the lifters. of course back then engines weren't buried in emission crap

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I made some sticks with wooden dowels, and bought earth magnets and scuffed them the epoxied them to cut lenghts of dowels, then for extrac security, i put elec tape over them then around the tape to hold the overlapped tape.  the magnets stayed glued, the tape is insurance that can be replaced with ease... $50.00 for all of it.   $700.00 for lifter sticks on-line.  of course these are not for E-6's, as you can easily hold the lifters through the right side. I miss the side covers... jojo

KIMG0935.JPG

• Like 1
  • Like 1

i like it.    $700.00  darn     prices are un real today. another "secret"  advantage to clothes pins;;;  you can sneak them back to the wifes laundry basket when she's not looking.  what motor oil spots  = i donno  what that is 😁

• Haha 1

lifters should definitely be reworked/ replaced. holding them up helps with cam removal/ install. have had the unfortunate experience of hands pushing up lifters as a"helper" is working cam in to place . half way in one hand is holding up cam through bushings. when a lifter falls as your hand is pushing up lifter the cam goes real fast hurts the fingers in the way. clothes pins eliminate the hand in the way.

• Like 1

I got a price years ago from Mack for all the parts (like a Chinese menu lol) when my mechanic did the last valve adjustment on her and he said that would be the last time he would do it. The price was atrocious then. If I was going to keep the truck and put it back on the road I would do the swap. Yea it wasn't just going to be the cam but everything else with it. She pops slightly through the air cleaner and ticks away but runs. The pic is when we sere still running her. Like I said the truck has been sitting.

Cirin R Model Florham Park..jpg

• Like 1

thats a sweet looking truck. I would be proud to own that one..  i assume he said it was the last adjustment because it looked like there wasnt  any more adjustment left?  Just curious what he saw.. jojo

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

thats a sweet looking truck. I would be proud to own that one..  i assume he said it was the last adjustment because it looked like there wasnt  any more adjustment left?  Just curious what he saw.. jojo

Yes he is very knowledgeable and helped with working on the truck back in 05 when we had it in his shop all fall and winter. He said there wasn't anything left. 

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

The reason your mechanic won't do it again is that these engines have a lot of duct work to get to the valve covers. 2 sets of intake pipes, one for intake and one for the tip turbine. They go together like a puzzle. Crankcase breather crossover tube on top of the valve covers, and the valve cover gaskets are a right PITA! Especially if you have a Jake brake.  We have had to straighten our valve covers numerous times, we've learned you have to torque them up by the book to keep them from leaking. They deform with the slightest amount of overtorque

That wasn't really the case at the time because he kind of liked the truck and we had it in his shop for a while and it was kind of his pet project with us. That's why at the time I got the price list from Mack for all the parts. Of course some things I made not have needed but the parts man I knew very well just kind of gave me the full gammit.