Antonov AN-225 Destroyed

General Ike

I am unfortunately reading reports that the one and only AN-225 (the largest transport aircraft in the world) was destroyed in Ukraine last week by a Russian attack.  This aircraft was originally created as a way of transporting the Soviet Buran space shuttle, much in the way that a Boeing 747 was converted to do the same with our shuttles.  With the fall of the Soviet Union the Buran program was scrapped and the AN-225 became Ukrainian property.  In the following decades it made several record breaking flights for size and weight of cargo.  It also participated in many humanitarian airlifts for natural disasters.

David Wild a member of this forum (not active lately) was I believe a loadmaster on this aircraft at one point in his career.  There was a discussion about the plane in the "Non Union Shop" thread a year or so ago that he commented on. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"

There is a Ukraine on the JOT page and he posted this a few days ago.  He has been updating on the board as he can.

"Yesterday the occupiers destroyed the largest Mriya plane in the world. From the Ukrainian language, Mriya translates as Dream! They destroyed our dream with wings, but they will never be able to kill the dream of freedom of my people, which will soon come!"

• Like 2

I've seen this aircraft at Bradley IAP (KBDL) in Connecticut a few times several years ago while it was there to transport new helicopters from Sikorsky to Europe. Massive doesn't even begin to give you a scale on it's size. I've been on C-5 Galaxies before and this is so beyond those. Such a shame and all of this is so unnecessary.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 2:47 AM, harrybarbon said:

I recall reading that there was a 2nd AN-225 incomplete sitting in a hanger in Ukraine.

Yes there is, or at least used to be an incomplete airframe somewhere.

Ed Smith

1957 B85F 1242 "The General Ike"