Brockway Directory Sales and Service Centers

oldspwr

Growing up back there I really used to enjoy watching JP noonan trucks and shawmutt  transportation they both had gorgeous equipment I was really surprised I was in Peabody Massachusetts about 10 years ago and saw a JR Noonan tanker on route one and I was surprised it was still painted the same colors but it was a T800 kenworth After all these years the paint didn’t look any different.. bob

Edited by mowerman
Mis spell
  • Like 1

I have always wondered who/where the local Brockway dealers were in Pittsburgh, PA. I have asked may old timers and nobody knows or seems to remember. I now understand why: It looks like there weren't any. This is hard to believe considering how large of an industrial complex Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas were at the time of this publication. I always though Brockway had a much larger presence than they apparently did. What were their total yearly production numbers compared to Mack?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 67RModel said:

I have always wondered who/where the local Brockway dealers were in Pittsburgh, PA. I have asked may old timers and nobody knows or seems to remember. I now understand why: It looks like there weren't any. This is hard to believe considering how large of an industrial complex Pittsburgh and the surrounding areas were at the time of this publication. I always though Brockway had a much larger presence than they apparently did. What were their total yearly production numbers compared to Mack?

They had a factory branch in Pittsburgh, it's listed on the first page (but its hard to read).  The address was 4367 Campbells Run Road, 15205.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, oldspwr said:

They had a factory branch in Pittsburgh, it's listed on the first page (but its hard to read).  The address was 4367 Campbells Run Road, 15205.

Hidden to me in plain sight. Thank you for this. Interestingly I know where this is and is only about 15 minutes from where I live. The exact location is now a Hunter Peterbilt/International dealer now. What was the difference between the factory branches and dealers? I assume the factory branches were owned by Brockway corporate (Mack)? Was there a difference in what was offered (inventory, service, etc.) at factory branches vs. dealers?

I believe you are correct in that the factory branches were owned directly by Brockway.  There were 2 factory branches not far from me, 1 in Kingston PA and the other in Scranton PA.  Both buildings still stand today.

Mack purchased Brockway  in 1956 and its my understanding that it was autonomous.  In other words Brockway was able to make their own decisions, etc.  

3 hours ago, oldspwr said:

I believe you are correct in that the factory branches were owned directly by Brockway.  There were 2 factory branches not far from me, 1 in Kingston PA and the other in Scranton PA.  Both buildings still stand today.

Mack purchased Brockway  in 1956 and its my understanding that it was autonomous.  In other words Brockway was able to make their own decisions, etc.  

Tom, thank you for this info. I understood also that they stayed separate until about 1970 when the design / engineering departments started working together using the F model Mack for the 400 series and then the Sheller Globe conventional.

In 1963 I worked for Crispell Automotive outside Ithaca NY and the Brockway Salesman would contract Dick Crispell to do some warrantee work so the trucks would not have to go all the way to the factory branch in either Elmira or Cortland.

Also there is a Huskydrive question in the "Older Mack Engine" topic of the Antique Mack discussion area.

Edited by Brocky

Brocky

back in the day ; '70's lenny Masello owned west haven ct mack branch. seems i heard bridgeport mack was a factory branch. lenny bought bridgeport mack = no one ever said it lost it's factory statis  . bridgeport had a larger building and yard . never heard customers talk about better deals there. as said in previous text, factory branch just had to do with ownership. then watebury mack  was bought by lenny. unlike today  if someone wanted a particular vehicle, branches would swap from one dealer to another. no one mentioned as i was leaving albany NY branch with a single axle F-model ;"ya might want to let some air out of the tires for the long ride"; no air ride then .and i have a bad back :why LOL.