Need more steering angle on new truck

A1waste

We just picked up our 2022 Mack granite roll off truck …. And it don’t turn anything like our other trucks we have a 11/15/19 the 19 turns the sharpest and the looks to have the same steering boxes as our new truck , same wheel base and same tires …. We measured the travel in the Pitmen arm full Left to full right on both trucks and the 19 had 2” more travel … 

Also the “19” has 700*deg of wheel turning ability in each direction 

the “22” has only 500*deg in each direction … so I would like to know how to get more turn from the 22 , btw we removed the spindle stops (screwed them in ) and the steering boxes are now what’s limiting it . 
please help , thanks in advance 

You will need to raise the front end of the truck and set your spindle stops to where you desire.  Then you will need to reset the reliefs on the steering box or boxes. Then with the front still raised you run the steering stop to stop to set the reliefs for the new spindle stop position.  
I’m not sure which boxes you have but just google the box number and you will find the procedure to reset the reliefs.  
Sounds complicated but in reality it’s very easy. 

• Like 2

In some cases the pitman arm is install onto the steering shaft to one side of center.This lets the steering box bottom out in one direction  too soon.I did a new freightliner mixer that the coustomer was unhappy with.This had two steer axles and i center the axle removed the drag link arm and set the steer box to center and reinstall drag link arm on the steer box.Back the poppet valve springs off and reset the axle stops then set the poppet valves to what their made to do.Coustomer was happy and ordered more freightliners.Ever one hoped that the factory did not get hear about this.On some trucks the tires will hit the frame or spring if you do this.

glenn akers

8 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

In some cases the pitman arm is install onto the steering shaft to one side of center.This lets the steering box bottom out in one direction  too soon.I did a new freightliner mixer that the coustomer was unhappy with.This had two steer axles and i center the axle removed the drag link arm and set the steer box to center and reinstall drag link arm on the steer box.Back the poppet valve springs off and reset the axle stops then set the poppet valves to what their made to do.Coustomer was happy and ordered more freightliners.Ever one hoped that the factory did not get hear about this.On some trucks the tires will hit the frame or spring if you do this.

No both sides are equal at 1.4 steering wheel turns ( 500degrees ) from Center In both directions … it’s just not enough or atleast not as much as we are used to with our other 3 trucks … and the tires are still 8” from anything at full lock so it has plenty of room to spare 

10 hours ago, BGarofalo said:

You will need to raise the front end of the truck and set your spindle stops to where you desire.  Then you will need to reset the reliefs on the steering box or boxes. Then with the front still raised you run the steering stop to stop to set the reliefs for the new spindle stop position.  
I’m not sure which boxes you have but just google the box number and you will find the procedure to reset the reliefs.  
Sounds complicated but in reality it’s very easy. 

How do you run the steering stop to stop if the steering box don’t allow you too ? Or is this something that is done with truck off (and in the air) as you suggested ?

Guessing someone has done this to all our trucks in the past considering we got each of them used with 150k+ miles . 
also our truck has the TRW steering boxes thanks for the Info 

8 minutes ago, A1waste said:

No both sides are equal at 1.4 steering wheel turns ( 500degrees ) from Center In both directions … it’s just not enough or atleast not as much as we are used to with our other 3 trucks … and the tires are still 8” from anything at full lock so it has plenty of room to spare 

To find out if your steer box is in center you have to start with wheel straight ahead and then disconnect the drag link from the steer box and then center your box and see if it will connect back up with out moving the box.

glenn akers

in the last 8 months, I brought 3 GR104F trucks back to Mack because all of them had steering issues. they would bind up and stop turning the normal way, you had to force the steering wheel and a clunk could be felt and then it would steer.   at no given time they would bind up...  and you were now driving a truck with 'armstrong' steering...   all 3 got new steering boxes...  svc. Writer said they see this a lot.....    Yaaaayy!!!! You go Volvo..... jojo

8 hours ago, A1waste said:

How do you run the steering stop to stop if the steering box don’t allow you too ? Or is this something that is done with truck off (and in the air) as you suggested ?

Guessing someone has done this to all our trucks in the past considering we got each of them used with 150k+ miles . 
also our truck has the TRW steering boxes thanks for the Info 

I may be misunderstanding you.  The reliefs or “poppets” as they are known are there to reduce pressure as you reach the stops.  With the front end raised off the ground can you hit the spindle stops by turning the wheel with the engine off?  If not then as said above verify your box was centered or you may have a box problem.  

it's under warranty....... 1 year on tie rod ends and attached parts and 3-5 years on the steering box. The 3 trucks I brought in to Mack, didnt have Poppet adjustments that I could see, but when I learned they were under warranty, I put my tools away and took them to Mack..

• Like 2

Just now, Joey Mack said:

it's under warranty....... 1 year on tie rod ends and attached parts and 3-5 years on the steering box. The 3 trucks I brought in to Mack, didnt have Poppet adjustments that I could see, but when I learned they were under warranty, I put my tools away and took them to Mack..

The poppets are auto and they self adjust.If you move anything you need a tool to reset them.

• Like 1

glenn akers

big thanks guys ! 
 I was able to get it . Super simple , learned a few things in the process . 
we have TRW tas duel boxes on our truck . 
 Watched the vids provided it adjusted as easy as they described in the video , but left out one detail they didn’t say . 
 When your looking for more steering angle but still want to limit it with the axle stops you must allow for a extra 1/4 turn of the mechanical limit to be able to get the desired usable limit . In my case

started out facroy at 1.4 turns L&R

Lifted truck 

set axle stops to 2 turns L&R 

set truck down 

and was able to get 1.75 turns of usable steering … 

then reset the axle stops to the 1.75 turn and am not set with a better turning radius than it had . 

Edited by A1waste