Question for Freightrain....

.......or anyone else that has tried to convert Dayton steers to Budds. Did you look into hubs from something smaller than a class 8 truck, like perhaps a school bus or the like?. The spindle being somewhat small on the B may be similar in size to something like a 5 ton truck, cube van or school bus. I could be wrong but I believe that the bolt pattern is the same. As long as the distance between the inner and outer bearing is the same, bearing size can be managed I would think. 

I haven't gone that far.

I had thoughts if I can match the king pin but then there is tie rod ends to match or make work.  I guess it all depends on what axle you have under your truck and how odd it is compared to newer stuff.

I guess I haven't been that diehard about it.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

I have information in my collection of stuff about contacting someone a long time ago and we researched all the bearing numbers and spacings and tried crossing stuff over to see if anything bolted on from Mack.  Not sure how easy that would be to do with other manufacturers?

I have the 517 axle.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

When I built my first B,back when I was still in high school, I too wanted budds on the steer,thats when I found out many Mack models used the same hubs. I pulled 3 or four from parted out trucks out back behind my local dealer before I found the right fit,which strangely enough came from an old MB611.

• Like 2

I have aluminum 22.5's budds on the front of my b model. I checked the king pins for slop and the tie rod ends and payed no more attention after mounting the power steering. I ran into the original owner and he stated that the front axle was off a later mack but I can't remember what model.  

I have a B 755 from 1965  with a 5071 front axle came from the factory with Budd hubs and no front brakes its common for the west coast trucks to not have front brakes then but the hub and spindle are both machined and ready for brakes I have seen others set up the same way might be possible to find a front axle and add brakes not sure if they would be the same as the 16x4 brakes that were on the FA 507 and FA 517