B Model Car Hauler

Paul, We used the bus axle. The front springs are from the Mack but we removed a few leafs. We haven't figured out what we're going to do about shocks yet.

We haven't had time to work on anything so far this week but I'm hoping we'll get some time tomorrow. I'll be sure to post some pictures as soon as we make a little progress.

Jim

Well I feel like we're making progress now. The sandblasting is all done and the chassis is painted. We used Magnet brand Chassis Saver paint. http://www.magnetpaints.com/underbody.asp I've never used POR paint but I think this stuff is similar. It's a little different than regular paint to work with but it's as tough as nails. Once it's cured you can barely scratch it.

309517.jpg

309523.jpg

309541.jpg

We're finally getting back to working on the Mack. We went to a wrecking yard and got some seats and a console from a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee. As you can see from the first picture the size is similar to the Mack seat. We had to build pedestals to raise everything to the proper height. We were able to adapt the automatic shifter from the bus into the console, it'll look fine once we make a bezel for it.

309542.jpg

309557.jpg

We also installed a new radio with a GPS, Bluetooth and satellite radio. We wanted to mount it a bit higher but the motor from the electric wipers was in the way. Soon we'll be able to start on the paint and body work.

309551.jpg

Here's a picture of the frame with the engine installed.

2009-08-18090cr.jpg

I'm back from visiting Jim's shop. Didn't get to meet Winston or Ruby but I did get to see his truck up close.

I have to tell yeah.. pictures don't do it Justis... After the frame got sandblasted and painted. All I can say is INCREDIBLE FINISH The frame is Smooth and shiny. Looks great. and while I was there. I got to sit in the new driver's seat. Those Jeep seats are gonna be perfect in the truck.

Thanks for the hospitality Jim. I luv'd the tour of your shop. Your livin the dream man. You guys have built an great facility there.

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

We got a little more done this week. We modified the dash module from the bus a little and it fits into the Mack dash. The nice part is that this dash just plugs right in to the bus wire harness. We had our doubts about the rectangular guage faces but I think it's going to look fine once we finish fitting the front panel.

309571cre.jpg

We also built some fuel tanks.

309574cre.jpg

We borrowed an idea that I think Mack used to use on their tanks and added a small catch basin to the bottom. That setup will allow us to draw fuel almost to the bottom. We'll put a drain valve on the smaller fitting.

309588cre.jpg

In this picture you can see the tanks installed ahead of the drives.

309591cre.jpg

We used a couple of the fire hose caps for filler caps.

309593cre.jpg

Nice work guys

Dash looks great, nice idea on the fuel tanks.

GLENN

GRANDKIDS :Gods little gift to us for not killing our kids while they were growing up

All I want, is just to be luv'd and for my Check Engine light to go out on my Volvo.

We built a battery box today. The batteries were originally kept under the passengers seat but there was nothing behind the dress panel under the cab so we made a box to fit behind it and put a door on the panel. We haven't installed the latch hardware yet. We're going to make another box like it for the other side. We'll use that one for tool storage etc.

309601.jpg

309614.jpg

309602.jpg

309616.jpg

Increadable craftsmanship guys

It is gonna look awesome when it's done :thumb:

GLENN

• 1 month later...

Boy, this project has been moving slow. We just haven't had much time available for working on it. I'm happy to say we finally painted the cab. That's all we've done so far but I'm hoping to start painting the rest soon. We stuck with the plan and painted it to match the race car.

Here's a picture of the race car beside the truck...

e.jpg

We painted the interior a creamy beige color that should go well with the seats we've got.

309661cre.jpg

I really like the Mack green but I think it would have clashed with the blue.

309662.jpg

Here's the cab beside the chassis...

309682.jpg

We had to modify the firewall and doghouse to make room for the heater and air conditioner. We actually used a stainless steel kitchen sink for the doghouse.

309690.jpg

I'll post more as we go along.

Jim

Beautiful! Just beautiful. Nice work

Nice shine. I luv your dog house idea.Who would of thought of using the kitchen sink. That looks perfect. I would have never known unless you told me.

The interior looks great. And the blue looks perfect. I know on my last visit, your attention to detail has paid off. :thumb:

GLENN

Now you can OFFICIALLY say you brought EVERYTHING to the track, including the kitchen sink :pat:

That color is great, the interior looks good too! The Mack green might not have been too terrible, but being metallic too it likely woulda looked kinda odd. I'm SOOOOOO jealous! Get that finished up so you can start on mine!!!!!!!

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 1 month later...

Time for an update. Unfortunately we haven't had much time to work on the Mack but we have managed to make a little headway. We covered the floor and firewall with some sound deadener.

2cr-1.jpg

1cr-1.jpg

Rather than try to carpet the complex shape of the doghouse we decided to make a fiberglass cover for it.

5cr-1.jpg

We made the cover by molding a sheet of lead around the doghouse to get the shape.

3cr-1.jpg

We then covered the lead with fiberglass.

4cr-1.jpg

After a few layer of fiberglass and a little body filler it's almost ready for paint.

The plan is to install the carpet then put the cover on. As I mentioned earlier, the doghouse is actually a kitchen sink but I think it'll look fine when it's done.

6cr-1.jpg

We've also been plugging away at the paint and body work so I think we'll be able to start re-assembling things soon.

Jim

Looks real good Jim

Good idea on the fiberglass cover for the doghouse. looks real good.

Not to steer too far off topic but was that the crate engine in the back ground for your new Plymouth racer?

GLENN

Not to steer too far off topic but was that the crate engine in the back ground for your new Plymouth racer?

You're close, the engine is going into a 61 Pontiac. It's a 348 Chevy engine which is a smaller version of the 409, although this particular 348 happens to be stroked to 437ci.

3-1.jpg

Here's the car it's going into. It HAS TO be ready to race in time for the big Gasser race in Thompson Ohio on the first weekend in June. The car looks OK but it needs a fair bit of work to make it race ready. We can't even start on it until the Mack gets done.

Oh and Larry, (Freightrain) I know what you're wondering,,, and no this car won't have a 4 speed, it's got a 350 automatic. :D

2009-05-05015cre.jpg

Looks GREAT,That will be an awsome truck when done. What brand of sound deadener did you use ?

We use a product called Hushmat. It seems to be about the same as the more common Dynamat except that this stuff is cheaper. It was also on sale when we got it but it's still pretty pricey. We really want the truck to be quiet so we've also got some padding that will go under the carpet and we're also going to use boxliner as a sort of undercoating under the cab.

Larry, That's a Canadian Pontiac. These cars only came with Chevrolet engines. This particular car came with an inline six cylinder but the 348 was an option. Canadian Pontiacs were built at the Chevy plant and used a Chevrolet frame and drivetrain. These cars are lighter than a regular US built Pontiac, they're basically a Chevy with Pontiac styled sheet metal.

The Gasser Magazine Gasser Reunion has been moved to Norwalk but Thompson is going to go ahead with their own Gasser Reunion on the regular first weekend in June date. It sounds like most of the Gasser crowd will be at Thompson and I'm sure many will also go to Norwalk.

Here's the event poster...

thompson1.jpg

Canadian Pontiac Eh? LOL!! Ya, buddy has a '68(or '69 I forget)Beaumont in his garage(Canadian Chevelle).

Hmmm, guess I'll be going to Thompson again(weather permitting). Hate to miss out on YOUR B model this year :thumb:

Larry

We put the cab on the frame and the rad's in place.

2010-01-24034.jpg

2010-01-24042.jpg

We coated the back and underside of the cab with a boxliner type of coating.

2010-01-24022.jpg

2010-01-24017.jpg

Then we added more sound deadener. It should be fairly quiet when it's done.

2010-01-24038.jpg

It's nice to see this thing finally going together. :chili:

All i can say is wow. You guys are doing a beautiful job on the truck. Cant wait to see it all finished.

You also are really giving me and I am sure others some direction for future restoration projects. I like the detail work you did on the cab with the insulation and bed liner.

-Thad

What America needs is less bull and more Bulldog!

Insulation? Sound deadener?? What?? You want to actually be able to talk while traveling? Huh? Come on...........LOL!

I can't WAIT to see it in person! Of course, they'll park me in the back 40 while YOU get the front row spot at Thompson. (unlike last year). Pete was takin care of me :thumb:

Larry