1948 DIAMOND T 201 SOLD AT HERSHEY AUCTION

HarryS

2 hours ago, HarryS said:

1948 Diamond T 201 Pickup  - $

This truck sold at the RM auction on Friday for $176,000 which includes the commission. Here is a link to their site:  https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/hf21/hershey/lots/r0091-1948-diamond-t-201-pickup/1166231#/expandGallery-AllPhotos

All it takes is two!

unreal

Somebody wanted a 201 real bad!!!!! That is a nice truck with the wide whitewalls and $1100 hubcaps.. Probably a fresh restoration?? I would be real happy with the $100,000 for my 12 year old restoration that has been used for a truck hauling the chapter tables,tent, and show materials.😀

Edited by Brocky

Brocky

• 2 weeks later...

Harry, NO!!! The truck you are thinking about, the Mack Jr., was built with a REO cab. Tony Champion in Rockhampton QLD has 2 of them.. If you are anywhere near him, or going that way, put his collection on your bucket list of things to do!!

The truck at the auction was a Diamond T model 201, a one ton pickup also available as a cab and chassis with a dual tire rear axle.. 7000 were built by DT from the middle of 1938 to the end of 1949. There are about a little over 400 left known to exist. Including A 1949 in my garage!! From 1950 thru 1952 about another 300 were built using the IH Compfovision cab. Then DT went out of the small truck business due to the competition from the Big Three.

In 1958 White Motor bought REO and in 1959 bought Diamond T, thus ending the DT / IH relationship. In 1960 White Motor closed the Diamond T plant in Chicago ILL and moved all production to the REO plant in Lansing Mich using a mix and match of body parts. REO cabs for vocational work and Autocar Cabs for road work. They also built the White 2000 series and special order heavy duty Whites. Three identical trucks could come down the assembly line and go out the door as three different brands!!!

On May 1st, 1967 White Motor officially combined REO and Diamond T and created the name Diamond REO.. Until White went bankrupt in the late 70's. The Osterman company of Carlisle PA USA bought the dies and rights to the name and continued to make the Diamond REO Giant into the 90's. Some using the air cooled Deutz engine. Another group then bought what was left of Osterman and are still building what they named the "T Line" trucks in Harrisburg PA.

• Like 1

Brocky

Hello Brocky

Thank you for the information, much appreciated.

I was there with you guys in 2015, at Mack Heaven in Australia. Unfortunately our Kermit was not complete for the trip to Alice (you saw Kermit in Ian Lee's workshop when you visited Ian's workshop) so I had planned to be Ian's passenger to Alice in 2015. However, I did not join Ian in Princess Dianna for the trip to Alice because Kevin All had at the 11th hour decided to come over and it was only fair for me to give up my seat for Kevin.

So my mate Max and I flew to Brisbane, we hired a car went to the Gatton museum, then to Dalby to see Tom Saxelby's (sadly he died last year, I will try post some of his trucks) big excellent collection of Macks and Inters then across to Longreach to see the Qantas planes and museum and meet Ian and Kevin as they drove to Tony's. We followed them to Rocky and had dinner with all of you guys as guests of Tony and family.

Ian had visited a few truck collections in the USA and Canada, objectively, he said Tony's was equal to those over there.

At the 2018 Mack muster at Kyabram, Victoria, Kermit and Princess Dianna were together and Tony was there with his latest new Aussie Mack with his Tony Champion custom hood and he had picked up another baby Mack Mack fully restored (navy blue colour) from Clappo. Hopefully I can post pictures, if so I will post this baby Mack.

My mates and I had planned to attend Alice with our Macks for the 2020 five yearly show and then 2021 (the delayed 2020 show) and after Alice I was going to go to Rocky and then make my way home via Brisbane and Sydney. Covid stopped our plans. I was looking forward to see Gary Zary's B61 now in Tony's collection.

All the best to you guys over there.

Brocky we did meet at Tony's dinner and the day you guys were eyeing his BIG KENNEL filled with DOGGIES 😃

And you spoke to me at Ian's when you were looking at Kermit (the green Irish Bulldog christened by Ian, usual practice of coming up with appropriate names, his forte, hence the famous Princess Dianna that he enjoyed sleeping in when and the Princess when on their trips across Australia to shows), as Kermit was in progress in Ian's workshop.

You saw Tony's Seduce (his custom red B75 with the Pete sleeper cab) that was in front of his main doggie kennel, I am not sure if it was Ian or Tony that came with the name, to be investigated.

IMG_0138.JPG

IMG_0141 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0147 - Copy.JPG

• Like 2

Brocky

I think the Princess has been in mourning since she lost her man, she has not ventured out of her home castle since his funeral and of course Covid. They attended many shows over the years, from east to west. We miss our mate, at morning tea and afternoon tea, Ian always had a way with words and comments, a dry sense of humor. And everybody was christened with a nickname. Alan who built Princess Dianna Seduce and other trucks (he was at Tony's 2015 when you guys were there), his nickname is TapTap 😂

I have pictures of the Princess both at Alice and Tony's.. Lots of times I can put a face and a truck together and not able to put a name between them!!! I still want to thank all you Aussies who worked overtime to make our tour the success it was..

• Like 1

Brocky

On 10/30/2021 at 1:07 PM, james j neiweem said:

is that D-T a 921RB?

No!! It is a 1956 Diamond T 950 with a different grille.. Hopefully the pictures below will blow up enough for you to read the printing?? 

Austrialan-Trip-227.jpg

Austrialan-Trip-229.jpg

Austrialan-Trip-230.jpg

Brocky