WTB-B61

skydawg

Hi,I`m looking for a  B61 or similar diesel model.Single axle,driveable,presentable,but not so nice that I can`t afford it....somewhere in the teens would be my range.

Edited by skydawg
added info

• 1 month later...

Well Im guessing a couple of things 

What part of the world are you in ?

Maybe no one knows of any for sale,I dont know of any

Dunno a little more information on who what when and were and just wait and see 

They aren't groing trees and are getting thinner on the ground every day 

Paul

Another scenario could be . . . . They getting rare and no one wants to part with them, but keep looking mate one will turn up.

Wish I could say the same for a rear mount pto 😫

steve 

Edited by Steve L

I always see at least 2 or 3 for sale on Facebook Marketplace whenever I look. Granted they are not always close to me but they are definitely out there. Look on the ATHS backlot classified listings as well. Always at least one for sale on there as well. Below is a very nice one in Uniontown Ohio.....There are 2 or three very close to me on Marketplace but they are project trucks requiring considerable investment..

image1.png

8 hours ago, Steve L said:

Another scenario could be . . . . They getting rare and no one wants to part with them, but keep looking mate one will turn up.

Wish I could say the same for a rear mount pto 😫

steve 

They are about in Australia but very thin on the ground

There was one advertised a few years ago but the bloke wanted 5 grand or more 

I wish I could remember were as I would track down the details as at that price he would most likely still have it 

It is probably far cheaper to bring one in from the States, just rent a corner in a shipping container and pay by the square meter 

Paul

I have sent numerous emails to wreckers in the states, most have been unanswered some that advertised them say sold. I placed an add here requesting one but no replies as yet. I guess they are getting obsolete now. 
The good news is Paul I found one in QLD, this guy was interested in a couple of ally tanks I have for sale, when I mentioned I was looking for a rear mount pto he had one. I swapped the tanks for it. Sent the 3 bolt cover plate yesterday so he can remove it. Ya’know sometimes a treasure is found on your own doorstep. I’m still looking for second one so I can remove the RR and put the 12 speed back in,(another truck) It had been in there near 35 years and has never been touched except for replacing the the 2 small main shaft spigot bearings awhile back. Nothing wrong with the RRs but they will never be a 12 speed. 

When the QLD pto comes down I can get the part number and order another from my esteemed dealer . . . NOT, haha 

Thanks for the post...I`m looking for the shorter 146" wheelbase chassis.I`m guessing a frame and driveshaft can be shortened,but I don`t know anyone near me that might be able to do that,or what it would cost.That nice red truck in Ohio is also the longer WB.

Edited by skydawg

Shortening the wheelbase and driveline is a generally fairly simple project. Especially something with leaf spring rear suspension. I shortened my R model from 207" to 165" wheelbase with just basic tools last spring when I was forced to stay home for covid19 lockdown. Took about three days of work to complete but I took my time and was methodical about it. Pretty much all I needed was a 1/2" breaker bar with a 15/16" socket, 15/16" wrench, 1/2" drill, 5/8" drill bit, a tape measure, sledge hammer, and a lot of muscle. The driveshaft can be shortened by a driveline shop fairly easily and quickly once you get the rear axle bolted back in to its new location, and a final measurement. I think the shop charged me somewhere around $150 to shorten and rebalance my driveshaft. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute if all a truck needed was some wheelbase removed to be what you wanted....Attached are some of the pictures of when I shortened mine. Very doable project.

IMG_2218.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

IMG_2653.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and pics. So after everything was unbolted,did you use a winch or something to pull the rear forward to it`s new position? Can air lines be shortened  and reattached to original fittings or do you need to buy new shorter?

No I jacked the pinion up with a floor jack and just rolled the whole assembly forward by hand. I had to cage the spring chambers to release the emergency brakes but once released the whole axle assembly will roll very easily on a level concrete floor. Yes air lines can easily be shortened. If they are the new style plastic material you can simply cut them, install an new ferrule, and reinstall them into the fitting and tighten.  Mine were still the original flared copper tubing. I just ended up replacing mine with all new materials and fittings since the copper was covered in hardened grease and 3 different colors of paint.

• Like 2