Refreshing an old Superliner

I have an 89 RW 713 in great shape, but the powertrain leaves a little to be desired!  It came with a 300 and a 7 speed, the engine is tired, I can get a semi electronic low mileage 427 E-7, but I don't know if I can add an ECU or what. Has anyone ever done this conversion that might be able to tell me how of if I can do this, and what I might need?  I think it would be cool to have an 89 with cruise control! 

Imo if you really dont need cruise take that half electronic pump off and put a full mechanical pump on it. I knew a guy who had a superliner with a e7454 he converted to mechanical.  It had a 18 speed mack and that truck would run with 500 hp big block cats like nothing.  And im some situations it would walk away from the big cats. 

• Like 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, fjh said:

You will likly need a complete donor truck with a wiring harness to suit but quite  doable!

Im thinking that this would be a good start, at the very least I feel be there when the wiring loom is been pulled out 

There is a very good youtube channel were a bloke does the crownvic swap with a old F 100 uni body

He goes thru seperating the loom and proving exactly what he needs and that it will still run, you are essentially doing this but to a much bigger vehicle

I hope the link works, if it does follow it thru to see the build, your sort of heading these lines and if you have never done this type of thing before this would give some insight 

Anyway good luck and keep us posted

Paul

Get rid of the econovance and mount a mechanical p7100 up to it and you'll have a nice mechanical E-7. Gonna need new fuel lines too since moving the pump location. We just did this to our 93. Set the timing around 17-18 deg to start but you'll probably like it right there

The pic is upside down Lol but in my avatar that's the mechanical pump we had built. Working on getting the throttle and shut off cable working now. Probably be on the road again by next week

You'll also need a diff style coupler on the end of the pump. I don't know the # off the top of my head but I'll get it. Bout 600$ from mack

Edited by brettj3876
  • Like 1

Imo going full mechanical is the way to go. Everyone that has driven a full mech says they pull circles around the vmac 1-2. Your already setup for the manual throttle anyways. It's gonna be a royal pain to change everything over to fly by wire

Edited by brettj3876