EM7-300 engine Intermittent squeak??

Samvada

Hi,  I have a 2001 CL 713 with a EM7–300. The engine runs good however, it has a terrible intermittent squeak that resonates throughout the engine. The noise goes away sometimes for weeks Until recently it’s gotten a lot worse.  Sound like it’s coming from the cam area #1 cylinder.   Pulled the pan expecting to find metal but was clean.  Pulled the EUPs and rollers all looked fine including guid pins and cam lobes. HRings all check ok.   From underneath a couple intake and exhaust cam lobes Show some spalling and minor scratches but nothing chewed up.  

Anybody have an idea what might be causing the noise? Ive got my work cut out here, also noticed when I dropped the pan that there’s a drip of coolant coming from number five cylinder sleeve. I’m already in this deep should I pull the cam too? 

attached a video of what I’m hearing 

Thanks for the help!!

Edited by Samvada

• Samvada changed the title to EM7-300 engine Intermittent squeak??

Thanks for the video clip. Yup. That's the sound of a bad camshaft. Coolant leaking out of the sleeve as well. Looks like its going to need some lovin. As usual, how much will cost? Is it worth it? Is the truck in good shape? All these answers you would know, but if you need help, this is the right place for it. Lots of excellent minds here. 

V

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Drop the pan,,, and look up!  you'll find it.... jojo

Yep did just what jojo said. Reached up and felt the roller it’s all rough. Found the problem.     I’m guessing right way is to replace cam and all lifters?  As for the dripping liner. . Can I replace one liner or re seal and reuse if it’s in spec?  Any recommendation of re using or replacing  head and rocker bolts?     Thanks 

83A2BA71-8D18-4687-A0F8-32489859A9AB.jpeg

You can replace one liner However you have six!!! At the very least do the three under the head your removing! To save time lift the heads off as a unit and start by checking the leaky one and the one next to it! If the next to it one looks iffy do em all! Get a price from PAI On CAM kit And liner kits! and bearings! Rocker bolts are more an issue on AI/AC engines !

• Like 2