400 AI question.

trucking251

Seems like 2004 was the start of the "AI" series engine and the EGR problems? Friend has a 2001 E7-427 with a little over 1.2M on the clock and it's been a very good engine without any emissions related failures.

From what I've seen those air compressors such as the original poster has can be troublesome to get a replacement that holds up long. Another friend has replaced his twice since the original went bad at 900K. The first replacement didn't go 50K before pushing oil, and the second replacement about the same. The third replacement is just a few months old and still going from what I understand. All sourced directly from Mack.

Edited by Rob

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Yes and bolt right in,, just have to make  new coolant hoses, and re-locate intake and output pipes based on application. I suggest buyin the offset intake nipple for the Bendix..  You can use this to get the right part if needed... CH613/118032... Thats one of my old trucks... I have gotten remans from outside truck parts vendors for under $400.00...Jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
  • Like 1

I like the Midland 1300, and 1600 series myself as the valves and head are very easy to service should maintenance be required.

Cost is about the same for a Bendix Tu-Flo 501 and a Midland also so six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Change or service your air drier with the compressor maintenance or replacement too.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE: So to recap I started out with a blown turbo. Had oil dumping out exhaust pipe fittings, no oil on intake side at all. Bearing was shot in turbo. Ok so new turbo on and also replaced small section of hose with hole you see in picture, no more oil out exhaust, but.... Picture dumping a 5 gallon pail of oil on the compressor in picture. Oil everywhere!  had oil in my tanks and out purge valve. Put on new compressor, duh. Well that fixed oil inside system but now still have massive amounts of oil everwhere in this area. Have completely degreased motor and tried to find leak 6 times. No oil until after I drive it, can sit for an hour idling, no oil. Back head oily so I replaced valve cover gasket, no luck. Intake side of head oily, exhaust side (side with most oil everywhere) dry around head gasket, but is this because close to exhaust and burning off?????  pulling my hair out. no loss of power, smoke, coolant in oil vice versa. I'm at a loss!!!

hose.3.jpg