Pete and Wayne are very Active in the ATHS Western NC Chapter and usually come down to our Dacusville SC show also.. Sadly this year it is a cancellation.

Edited by Brocky

Brocky

12 hours ago, Brocky said:

Pete and Wayne are very Active in the ATHS Western NC Chapter and usually come down to our Dacusville SC show also.. Sadly this year it is a cancellation.

Those guys are super cool.  I always stop in and talk to them.  I'm still hoping Brad's Southern Classic in Maiden gets to happen this year.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

38 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

I think I met those two at Lexington.

They do get around, which is pretty awesome.

I believe it's the red one that has a "reconstructed" status, with a new VIN number issued by the state, as it was put together from 2 different trucks.

I had forgotten how little room there was in a B-model.  The steering wheel hits my belly and I can't get my foot on the clutch pedal without banging my knee under the wheel.  Surprisingly, the weird steering wheel angle on the B67 I looked at that day actually gave a little more knee room than in the B61.  Maybe that's why I got used to not using the clutch back then!

The B67 has that angled steering shaft to move it up.  I have one and thought of maybe trying to install it in my truck with a small wheel just to get more room(I don't really need it, luckily).  With the air steering, I don't need the big wheel anymore.

I don't use the clutch unless absolutely necessary, period.  Just call me lazy.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

32 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

The B67 has that angled steering shaft to move it up.  I have one and thought of maybe trying to install it in my truck with a small wheel just to get more room(I don't really need it, luckily).  With the air steering, I don't need the big wheel anymore.

I don't use the clutch unless absolutely necessary, period.  Just call me lazy.

LOL!  I must be lazy too!

I'm not TERRIBLY tall...just about 6'.  But those old B61s we had when I was young were TIGHT.  My dad was only about 5'8", and they fit him better than they did me.  I've got a 6' wife who is mostly legs.  I put her into one of those B61s, and she could barely stand it with her feet flat on the floor!  My son is 6'4", and when he got in one he looked like a grasshopper trying to ride a piss-ant!

I was surprised how much that angled B67 setup helped with the knee room.  Didn't help with the length...just the knee room.

First time I drove an R-model, I thought I had found the promised land.  Cab was taller.  Seat sat higher.  No knee issues at all.  It had air assist steering, too.  So, pretty easy to drive.  That particular R would bleed the air tanks pretty quickly if you were weasel-ing around in a parking lot, though.  Recall several times having to stop and wait for the air compressor to catch up.  But, I really loved the feel of the air assist on the highway.

I think you may be on to something with the small wheel, too.

I'm just 5-10, so I fit pretty well.  I can stretch my left leg up into the vent pocket, above the bright switch and get comfortable.  I can kick the cruise control on and then swing my right foot in front of the seat to relax on long drives.  Just can't lean the seat back enough, it rubs the back wall now.

I put an extra 7" dia tank on the truck when I put the air steering on it.  Gives it that extra volume it needs for most anything I get into.  The only bad feeling I get is going into long curves.  it tends to push/pull on the wheel and makes it kinda squirrely feeling.  You just have to not panic and jerk the wheel, and it will be okay.

I'd like to find a factory small wheel, not go with an aftermarket or newer style wheel.  Just doesn't look right in my opinion.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

I'm just 5-10, so I fit pretty well.  I can stretch my left leg up into the vent pocket, above the bright switch and get comfortable.  I can kick the cruise control on and then swing my right foot in front of the seat to relax on long drives.  Just can't lean the seat back enough, it rubs the back wall now.

I put an extra 7" dia tank on the truck when I put the air steering on it.  Gives it that extra volume it needs for most anything I get into.  The only bad feeling I get is going into long curves.  it tends to push/pull on the wheel and makes it kinda squirrely feeling.  You just have to not panic and jerk the wheel, and it will be okay.

I'd like to find a factory small wheel, not go with an aftermarket or newer style wheel.  Just doesn't look right in my opinion.

The R I was talking about did not do that push-pull thing.  Not sure what the difference was in the system.

I remember swinging my right leg over to the other side and using my left foot on the throttle pedal a couple of times, just to let the right leg rest a while.  What's a cruise control???  LOL!!!

You know, I'd like to see more of that B of yours.  That is a super interesting truck.

10 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

I believe it's the red one that has a "reconstructed" status, with a new VIN number issued by the state, as it was put together from 2 different trucks.

I'm putting my H model together from 4 trucks, but thankfully I've got a clear title for the vin on the frame rail so no need for any fancy title work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/30/2020 at 4:01 PM, Brian L Blaylock said:

A good friend of mine told me one time that you don’t get into a B-Model you put it on and wear it 

Ha!  I sat in my B60 last night for the first time, the seats are out, so I was sitting on a plastic tote - and realized the same thing - it's going to be cozy!  (I'm 6').