New to Mack's Help value 3 projects

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the site and Macks in general.  I've had a passion for classic cars, muscle cars, etc. for 30 years and do my own wrenching.  I've owned cars and trucks from 1940's on up.  I've always loved the big rigs and have been looking for something to restore.  After looking at an old IH Loadstar that was pretty rough, I found a few b series tandems for basically scrap iron prices.  I didn't find data plates so I'm light on info for now. 

The best truck is a gas inline 6 with 10 speed, second truck has a rebuilt diesel(not sure size or tranny), third one may just be a parts truck but is diesel as well.  All have good glass and titles, two can definiately be restored, maybe all three but they haven't run in probaly 10-20 years.  The best body has nice fenders, cab corners etc so I figure I can't lose at 100CDN/ton($75US/ton) and I'm saving some classic iron.  They're in a field just down the road from me so I should be able to get my neighbour to help drag them home saving on towing charges as well.  What is the ballpark weight of a B series tandem with 5th wheel?  How hard is it to find a dump box or tow set up for this vintage truck?  I know of a mid 50's IH with a dump box, would that work?  I'll post pics and more info once I get them home.  Thanks for any advice or opinions.

There is also a 1952 A80 that was restored about 10 years ago(starting to get rust bubbles from sitting) but I likely can't afford it.  What would the rough value be on that?  I told the owner I'd try and help sell it.  I'll post pics of it when I can.

Edited by PheadrusGs

15 hours ago, PheadrusGs said:

There is also a 1952 A80 that was restored about 10 years ago(starting to get rust bubbles from sitting) but I likely can't afford it.  What would the rough value be on that?  I told the owner I'd try and help sell it.  I'll post pics of it when I can.

The value would depend a lot on whether you can jump in the truck and drive it or if it needs some repairs to make it roadworthy.

I’d guess that any vehicle that has sat for 10-20 years is gonna need some work to be roadworthy, probably safe to assume they are not.  It sounds like you can’t lose on this deal if you get them for the price of scrap.  I don’t know a lot about the value of old trucks, but I know that they are expensive to fix up.  If you’ve done restorations in the past, you are aware already.  I was in your situation about 4 years ago when I bought my truck and I have no regrets about doing the project, but it was expensive.  That was mostly due to my indecisiveness and not properly planning the project.  I’d say pick them up, make a plan and dig in.  Good luck.  Andy

I would also be very interested in the A-model value.  It seems the consensus on this forum is to avoid value discussions.  I recently bought my 1952 A40S, running and drove it on a temp gas tank 8 miles home.  

I cleaned the tank and put a fuel pump in ($40 including fuel line), bought new tires for it (the old ones were not safe), and am now starting to go through fluids, etc.   I am cleaning up the interior at low-cost (wrapping seats in Mexican blankets and memory foam on hand).  My son and I will go through wiring one-wire at a time (all rear lights are cut off, so replacing those).

No idea what the value is, but based on other Classic vehicles it is quite rare (based on the A-model registry here, very few still exist and even less on the road) and way cooler.  As a rat rod it is probably worth $10k +++ as it sits, as an original Mack A40 driver I don’t know if the same value exists (Seem like not), as a project with my son... priceless. 

Edited by Scottyairborne
Accuracy

Yah, about 30 cents on the dollar return on resto's.  I just checked the local scrap prices here and it's an abysmal $55-65/ton CDN($40-45US).  It's a widow down the road from me that wants her husbands trucks restored by someone who appreciates them as opposed to them rotting in a field or getting scrapped.  I looked at them about 8 years ago when he passed but didn't have the time or extra cash to buy them.  I stopped by the other day to see if they were even still there and they were.

It would be a crime to scrap them especially for roughly $250 per truck not including cost to get them to the scrappers.  Two of the bodies seem really solid, not sure about third.  Ticks were really bad so I just took a cusory look at the best one.  Sadly the bulldogs are gone, the side dogs as well.  The Mack emblems are there but didn't see the model designation badges either.  But one truck has new rubber put on it just before it was parked.  One of the diesel trucks had the motor completely rebuilt. 

I figure by getting all three, it will help keep the costs down by using the best parts from all three.  My nephew is just starting to be a diesel mechanic apprentice so I thought about giving one to him.

I wonder if I can tow them to my place using a tow strap with my 90 F250HD 4wd.  351/C6.  I pulled a 30 ft Ford B700 school bus with a seized front rotor around the yard pretty easy with it. 

I'll try and get pics, data plate info in the next week and post them here.

Edited by PheadrusGs

Is a A80 even a model?  Couldn't find any info.  It's suppose to be a 1952.  It's a single axle.  He had custom plates that said "52 A80" so that's what I thought it was.  I just wanted to help the widow sell it.  She's sad here husband restored it and now it's sat for 10 years in a shed and is starting to get rust on the doors.  Mice are getting in it etc.

Edited by PheadrusGs

6 hours ago, PheadrusGs said:

I assume it's an A50 or lower.  How rare are they?

About 3,300 A-50s were built but there is probably only a handful left.  Twice as many A-40s were built with only a small number are still around.

The correct long eared dog and emblems can be found on ebay every so often.  I have seen some dogs in the 80-100 area, the "Mack" script 40-50 and up and A model emblem aren't as frequent and can be 50-60 and up.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

So what would be a fair ballpark for an A40 or A50 single axle, that was amatuer restored 10+ years ago and has sat since?  Rust bubbles starting on the doors and mice have gotten into the cab.  It's a colour combo I don't like(yellow and green) so it would be painted eventually anyway.  I'll try and get some pics this weekend but as I mentioned before, the ticks are really bad and they're in 5 foot grass with black bears lurking near by.  I wish it was a tandem but I may try and borrow some money to buy it if I can get it at a reasonable price.  The widow doesn't want to see it sit and deteriorate further.  Plus she's getting on in years so I'm worried if she passes, it may wind up as scrap.  Apparently his friend "scrapped a bunch" of his Mack's when he first died sadly.  I'm trying to save what remains.  At least 10 Mack's went for scrap.  She said her husband put at least $10K CDN/$7000 US plus his labour when he restored it.

Edited by PheadrusGs