Good deal? 1969 mack

Umpqua_wild

Question

Looking for a dump truck to haul rock for friends and myself . And pull a mini ex around. Found this 69 Mack on CL. Don' t know much about Mack’s but fell In love with the truck. So question is what are problem area to look for , parts availability. Anything I should know when I go look at the truck https://eugene.craigslist.org/hvo/d/creswell-1969-mack-10-yard-dump-truck/7142250453.html

11 answers to this question

If you're not a Mack mechanic, you may want someone to look it over for you. Keep in mind this truck is 50 years old so it may need a lot of wrenching. Jim's right about DM 685's...they are a great truck with the right care.

Ok so I’m not a diesel mechanic but I’ll get ahold of somebody. Thanks for the info guys. I’ll look for the tag .  Is it worth the 5k if it checks out ? I’ve done some looking on the site and everyone saysthe 237 is a beast . 

Edited by Umpqua_wild

So went looked at the truck . The cab is pretty rough shape , Rusty passenger door does not Open one wiper works heater is froze up . Box it pretty beat up. Hood is bad shape. All lights work dump works good has air tail gate release . Had a Jake, hi-lo 6 speed . Diff lock. Says dm600 on the side of the cab . The tag in door says dm611s. It seemed to run and drive fine all fluids looked good,  has the American bosh pump,. Fires right up. Comes with another set of steer tires that aren’t caps . On rims. I wanted it but told him I had to think about it and look around more.  I offerd  4000 but he said no. What do you guys think?

A DM-611 would have been built with a Mack 673 Thermodyne and backed up with 10 speed.  So an engine/trans swap has happened.  Have to check the engine number to be sure.

Sounds a little rough.  Could use it as a pit truck and see if you want to spend money to fix it up a little.  Moot point if he didn't take your offer.  Maybe wait a couple of days and see if he changes his mind on your offer.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.