Volkswagen Transporter Turns 70

kscarbel2

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles  /  March 8, 2020

It's March 8, 1950, the first Type 2 (aka. Transporter, Bulli) rolls off the assembly line and a cult model is born...

Today, we celebrate 70 years of the Transporter production! And we break records: our van is the longest built commercial vehicle in the world.

Seventy years ago, the world's bestseller took to the road - to date, the first model has been followed by more than 13 million others in six generations.

Companies trust it and families drive safely through everyday life. What was new at the time, is now indispensable.

We say: Happy Birthday, "Bulli bus"!

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

I remember quite a few mom and pop grocery stores, hardware stores and business used them. The early one did serve a good purpose and inexpensively too. The VW lost the charm when the Ford, GM and Dodge vans appeared.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Saw plenty of those pickups in late summer of last year, was still recovering from surgery and dad came by to make me go to some antique VW show at some park, then that's when we went on to check out the all Mack junkyard I took a ton of pics of. Only VW I got a picture of was one of the "Bachelor Cab" pickups... basically a half cab with only a drivers seat, and where the other side of the cab would normally be was replaced by extra bed space. I'll see if I can't dig up the picture out of my album...

Haven't found my picture yet but I did find this video of it at that very same show: 

Edited by CaptainCrutch

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!