Air brake question need help

cfd511

So I’m re doing my brakes on my eager beaver trailer 1994 . I bought new s-cams with bushing kits . My question is when installing the s-cam it is extremely tight  to get it through the new Composite bushing near the slack adjuster . The composite bushing has a greese fitting and two metal plates that you bolt on either side to hold it in place . I have the s cam installed but it’s seems to snug to the point that I can’t even turn it by hand .i can’t remember how it should be since I haven’t done this in a few years . Any help please 

All I have installed have been a slight to moderate drag as you rotate the camshaft. Can you mike the internal diameter of the bushing and the external diameter of the camshaft bearing surface?

What axles and brake sizes do you have?

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I canT spin it without the use of a mallet . dana/spiced axles . Brake pads open on both sides . The problem seems to be the alignment bushing near the slack adjuster . The scam easily moves in the bushing on the spider plate .

2 hours ago, cfd511 said:

I canT spin it without the use of a mallet . dana/spiced axles . Brake pads open on both sides . The problem seems to be the alignment bushing near the slack adjuster . The scam easily moves in the bushing on the spider plate .

This style with 16-1/2" brakes:

image.png.c80af785dbaae01555a230159afba127.png

image.png.f40a15a1d23b9fe21d466abe2adcdf99.png

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Those are generic photos of Eaton axles. I would need to know the model of the axle to drill down to correct parts. However, the part referenced as E-2104 gets bent out of alignment easily with lowboy type trailers due to the nature of the usage they get. If that inner bushing is held cocked in it's bore and not parallel to the S cam shaft, it will bind when the retaining plates are cinched down. This sounds like your problem.

Get the axle model number off the tag which is usually affixed to the axle tube and I can put up an accurate photo for parts.

Edited by Rob

think Rob haz nailed it

slaken off the keeper plate th@ holds the plastic pineapple bush next to the slaky

then belt it with u're F B Mallet to realign the camshaft and bush

wen happy with the effort of turnin the cam shaft tight n up the keeper plate

cya

• 2 months later...

ok yall please no rude comments  im a lady thats been logging for 18 years now .i have a 76 white road boss 290 cummins ,im learning to work on my truck about a month ago hauling a load to sawmill and i lost all air pressure i down shifted got stopped finally.left truck over night came back next day started up air pressure built upmade it to mill unloaded same thing happened again borrowed air compressor shot air into tank got truck home.so far i have changed the air dryer, purge valve, air governor and it simply wont build air pass 60,checked all line with soapy water,can yall help me out on this .

82069053_2620291378086030_417372788542668800_n.jpg

Edited by Ladylogger

Welcome aboard I'm thinking if you have no air leaks it's possibly your compressor. Did you try adjusting the new air governor? Its possible it's set to low. Did your brakes not automatically engage when your air pressure dropped? Btw cool looking old White