Dump Truck to Tractor

Me and my dad are still looking for a decent semi that wouldn't require a ton of work to haul our firetrucks with. But I just had a thought, how difficult and how long do you all think it'd take to turn a dump truck into a tractor? We've seen a few dumps that seem near perfect for our wants... except for the gigantic metal box taking up the location of the fifth wheel. We probably wouldn't go with this option because it requires work and the most we want to have to do is paint and little things that are as easy as general maintenance. Still it's a thought I had and isn't completely out of the question...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

I thought this topic was covered recently but I cannot find it.  Converting a dump to a tractor wouldn't be difficult especially if the dump is already plumbed for trailer brakes as some are.  A benefit to buying a dump is that if the bed and hoist is in good shape you can sell and get a bit of a return on your investment. Another benefit, although you probably wouldn't need it, is a heavier or double frame. Also if you are running a trailer with any kind of hydraulics you will already have the PTO and tank in place..

37 minutes ago, Terry T said:

I thought this topic was covered recently but I cannot find it.  Converting a dump to a tractor wouldn't be difficult especially if the dump is already plumbed for trailer brakes as some are.  A benefit to buying a dump is that if the bed and hoist is in good shape you can sell and get a bit of a return on your investment. Another benefit, although you probably wouldn't need it, is a heavier or double frame. Also if you are running a trailer with any kind of hydraulics you will already have the PTO and tank in place..

So what, if anything, would need to be done other than taking the dump bed off and it's associated mechanism(s) and how hard would it be to reroute the trailer connections up towards the cab? My dad kinda wants a hydraulic trailer anyways so this is actually starting to look like a really good idea...

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

8 minutes ago, CaptainCrutch said:

So what, if anything, would need to be done other than taking the dump bed off and it's associated mechanism(s) and how hard would it be to reroute the trailer connections up towards the cab? My dad kinda wants a hydraulic trailer anyways so this is actually starting to look like a really good idea...

Most pumps installed onto dump trucks are only pressure one way as in extending a cylinder and gravity down. You can make a dump pump work as long as the flow isn't far too much for the application, you know how to plumb a flow divider, priority valve, and/or spool valves for your application. I wouldn't plan to run 50gpm through an application that requires 5gpm as example as the byproduct is heat and possibly destroyed parts. You would be far better off replacing parts to go with the requirement.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The hardest part of the whole project would prob be hooking up the air system for the trailer if the truck is not set up for one. If it is, it’s just a matter of moving it’s location so not that big of a deal.   The hydraulics may or may not work but that could also be as easy as just changing the pump out and still use the pto that came with the truck.    

My first concern is finding a dump truck that doesn't have major frame issues.  They do tend to overload them and take them off road and twist things up.  Just a thought to consider.

Trailer air would be relatively easy.  Better if truck had trailer air already.  If not, then it's buttons for the dash and TP valve behind the cab.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

twist in the frame in not usually an issue Larry. 

the bigger issue is the fact dump drivers very rarely wash the inside of the frame, so the dual frame gets full of dirt which turns to mud which turns to rust. 

i have seen 5 year old dump trucks with so much rust between the frame rails they were spread between 1/4 and 1/2 inch

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

I was more thinking of the cracks in the frame due to the twisting.  Yes, rust jacking is not good either.  My thought was there is lot to look at under there when inspecting a used dump truck.  Might look okay until you get the bed off and find it's junk.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"