91 Mack CH613 Exhaust

I have a 1991 Mach CH613 with 48" flat top sleeper, I would like to mount the exhaust mid cap and go from one to dual stacks, is this possible and can anyone point me in the direction of mounting kits? 

From this pic one to this pic two and three. 

8B5103A9-EFF2-4028-A6FC-991D7D674F57.jpeg

CC9B4CD7-F6FA-4D72-A0EE-C0C87531AA0D.jpeg

91DCD3A2-2992-47E7-AEC7-13EFE403D16B.jpeg

Edited by Stitch117

You could find you a Rawhide and get a vin# and order the brackets from mack or just make your own. The brackets from mack are not cheap. Also if you do this you better make sure you reinforce the cab good where they fasten to the cab or you will have problems with them breaking the cab out.

• Like 1

I had drivers tell me that dual exhaust made trucks go faster ???????  same bunch that never finished high school but know it all, when I run into those kind now I tell them buy a bunch of trucks and show us how it is done, seems they are always in a company truck ???? easy to be smart when using someone's money other than your own. 

• Like 1

It's not hard to do but I would not mount to the cab, nor bunk. Strictly mount to your risers. Donaldson makes a nice exhaust splitter to fashion dual exhaust and if you have a tube bender around your area they can fashion the offsets you would need. In years gone past I've built several but had a buddy whom worked a bending shop in Peoria so was inexpensive to do, (for me) at the time. 

• Like 2

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

The factory rawhide exhaust mounts to the cab I don't think there would be any other way to mount them. I had a Rawhide with a million miles on it and the cab where the exhaust brackets bolted on was not broken out. I built a set brackets similar to the original design and put on a 99 CH reinforced the cab some but apparently not enough because they broke the cab out in about 6 months. Not sure how mack reinforced the cab to keep that from happening and couldn't find anyone that could tell me how they did it.

15 minutes ago, 880joe said:

I would sure like to know what they did to reinforced the inside of cab to keep them from breaking. I called 3 or 4 mack dealers and body shops and no one had any clue

I'm surprised at that. There is a large reinforcing plate on some cabs that is internal and behind the trim cards that spreads the pull over the back of the structure. I've seen some cabs with it, some without, and never knew why.

I don't like cab mounted exhaust from the R model days of fixing them. As all know they were steel cabs and stronger in that application when new than aluminum or fiberglass to mount to. Seen a bunch of them busted out, (vocational trucks) over the years so kinda adopted the bracing that the later models used with vertical risers which can be made very stout.

I've never worked on a Granite so cannot answer for their construction at all. In fact limited CH series came through the shop and that's been a long time ago now.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I'm surprised at that. There is a large reinforcing plate on some cabs that is internal and behind the trim cards that spreads the pull over the back of the structure. I've seen some cabs with it, some without, and never knew why.

I don't like cab mounted exhaust from the R model days of fixing them. As all know they were steel cabs and stronger in that application when new than aluminum or fiberglass to mount to. Seen a bunch of them busted out, (vocational trucks) over the years so kinda adopted the bracing that the later models used with vertical risers which can be made very stout.

I've never worked on a Granite so cannot answer for their construction at all. In fact limited CH series came through the shop and that's been a long time ago now.

Rob do you have any pictures of the risers that you used for mounting beside the cab? 

5 hours ago, Stitch117 said:

Rob do you have any pictures of the risers that you used for mounting beside the cab? 

I know I did but can't say for certain now. I'll go back through some photos later today. Basically if you look online these were duplicates of what I had seen on factory installs with the two offset bend risers and either a stiffener tube down low running at an angle, or an "X" bracing between the two risers. I'm thinking there was an 8.25" offset to the outside of the truck to clear the sides of the bunk and run guards on the mufflers I favored. Used to get all exhaust products from Jim Hawk as they were Donaldson dealers back then. I don't know about now however.

Just now, Rob said:

I know I did but can't say for certain now. I'll go back through some photos later today. Basically if you look online these were duplicates of what I had seen on factory installs with the two offset bend risers and either a stiffener tube down low running at an angle, or an "X" bracing between the two risers. I'm thinking there was an 8.25" offset to the outside of the truck to clear the sides of the bunk and run guards on the mufflers I favored. Used to get all exhaust products from Jim Hawk as they were Donaldson dealers back then. I don't know about now however.

Thank you. 

• 10 months later...