Anybody successfully clean MP8 venturi pipe?

steeler

I've pulled the differential pressure sensor and used a small drill bit by hand to remove the carbon buildup in the two ports in the mounting bracket , when I figured I have cleared the mounting bracket I took a spray nozzle straw and pushed it into the venture

2 hours ago, c-mac said:

I've pulled the differential pressure sensor and used a small drill bit by hand to remove the carbon buildup in the two ports in the mounting bracket , when I figured I have cleared the mounting bracket I took a spray nozzle straw and pushed it into the venture

That's what I normally do on other applications, but this one has the ports making a 90 degree turn down inside the hole so I can't get anything to eat thru it.

I tried carb cleaner which I've had luck with in the past, but it didn't help. I just put it back together and told the customer that he will have to deal with the yellow light until the part comes in. We ordered it as unit down, which usually speeds up the process. Hopefully it won't take a month.

8 hours ago, steeler said:

Exactly. I can't get anything in there to break it loose.

Don't know if it will work in your application but I've cleaned solidly clogged EGR's by soaking them on Easy Off oven cleaner. Fill the port or tube fill it with the cleaner and stick verticl as you can in an.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

Don't know if it will work in your application but I've cleaned solidly clogged EGR's by soaking them on Easy Off oven cleaner. Fill the port or tube fill it with the cleaner and stick verticl as you can in an.

I might just have to grab a can of that, thanks.

I for one am totally amazed at how hard the dam stuff packs in them holes its amazing! Another comment I have is The place where the sensor sits used to be bolted on and easily cleanable Now All one piece Makes me wonder if they have done this to encourage you to have to buy a hole new  tube another semi intentional money grab! another non serviceable part to plague us!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fjh said:

I for one am totally amazed at how hard the dam stuff packs in them holes its amazing! Another comment I have is The place where the sensor sits used to be bolted on and easily cleanable Now All one piece Makes me wonder if they have done this to encourage you to have to buy a hole new  tube another semi intentional money grab! another non serviceable part to plague us!

If you look at it practically...…. what's faster and easier for Volvo, drilling/machining the thing straight or building blind corners into the passage ways? All the CATs we have are straight shot, home run, hit'em with a 3/16" X 8" drill bit, done.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

If you look at it practically...…. what's faster and easier for Volvo, drilling/machining the thing straight or building blind corners into the passage ways? All the CATs we have are straight shot, home run, hit'em with a 3/16" X 8" drill bit, done.

True ! cheaper for them to build the more they can charge for it! 🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, fjh said:

$$$$

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Jam a pressure washer tip in there and give it 20 minutes with full steam setting. That’s 3K PSI. Getting wet is the hard part. Clamp them and walk away. 

I didn’t appreciate how effective the average psi washer is at erosion till last year. As policy Our mechanical group gets commandeered to work with a Millwright group once a year for one week. This time on a 10” fiber-plastic bushing in the auger shaft of a 20,000 gallon tank. Shaft was not removed during operation. We drilled and cut and hacked and hammered, even tapped bolts into it and slide hammered. Finally they called it. Supervisor said “ get the water blast contractors in here overnight and get that damn thing outta there!!!”. I said “no way are they going to remove that with a pressure washer”. Guy said “oh yeah, they do it all the time”. Two guys were stringing a pressure washer wand in as I was leaving, next morning the bore was shining with a smooth mirrored finish, no bushing, dissolved it on one side and ~pop~. Stuff was rock hard friction material. Millwright said they go over 5,000+ PSI, so a small advantage over the average washer. A stream makes a canyon?

• Like 1