CH 613 A/C BLOW WARMER WHEN DRIVING

msbulldog601

I replaced a/c parts on my condenser, air dryer, thermostatic switch in dash, evaporator. I charged the system up it started to blow cold but once I got in the truck to drive it the air started to blow less cool than when sitting at idle. The truck is a 97 Ch 613 Dump Truck(Day Cab). The next day after charging I got up for work turn the ac on still cold when at idle sitting and warmer when driving. Would could cause that? Also while driving the A/C shut off completely on its on so I immediately turn the controls to off until I could pull over. I pulled no over let the hood up turn the controls on I get nothing out the vents not even hot air. Can anyone help me figure this out 1. Why did the air become warmer when driving and 2. Why would it just shut off like it did? 

On 8/24/2019 at 8:38 AM, Mack Technician said:

You failed to properly insert the freeze stinger into the dash evaporator core. It’s too shallow. Your symptom perfectly describes “freeze up”. 

Get a clothes hanger, straighten it, Jam it into the core where the freeze stinger is planted, once it’s hogged out put the stinger in as deep as you can. 

After I use the clothes hanger to open it up and put the freeze stinger line back in what do I do next how do I get things back to working and thawed out since it frozen up? I would like to say also I tried turning the system on just to see what it would do I still get nothing but I do get a smell in the cab a strong smell maybe from the vents. 

3 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

I like the heater water control idea more that the stinger, they were notorious for leaking hot flow, but it can't explain zero air flow and then HVAC system working fine next time you run it? Freeze up would cut your air off completely and stop the air flow.  

I took a clothes hanger and ran it up in the evaporator until it bottom out a few time stuff the stinger back in until it bottom out put everything back together started the truck turn the Ac controls to on still nothing no air flow you can hear like it wants to come on but nothing. The heater control is switched to off I went under the hood and pushed it all the way to the off position. 

2 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

Water valve can still leak hot water when fully stroked to off position. Do as Cmac suggested and clamp the hose.

You have no working HVAC fan?

Okay will do and do you recommend changing it out with a new one if clamping the hoses do help? To answer your question correctly, when you say "fan" do you mean the big fan that blows across the radiator & condenser or the ac blower motor in the dash? The large fan is working that mounted in the front of the engine that blows across radiator and condenser. Excuse me for taking you around the world but I wanted to be clear.

I pulled over after the sudden stoppage of air blowing I wanted to just take a look at the a/c components under the hood like the belt that drive the compressor, the compress it self just make sure things was still in place and everything looked fine and in place. I turned the controls back on then went to take a look.

If you have no air moving at start up it is not a freeze issue. And you say the fan completely stopped working suddenly....

You need to stop and get your HVAC (heating, ventilation, Air Conditioning) dash blower working. If blower motor fails to work on all three speed levels then check to see if you have a blown fuse. If fuse is blown (or circuit breaker fuse failed) then replace it and retry.  

Edited by Mack Technician

1 hour ago, Mack Technician said:

If you have no air moving at start up it is not a freeze issue.

You need to stop and get your HVAC (heating, ventilation, Air Conditioning) dash blower working. If blower motor fails to work on all three speed levels then check to see if you have a blown fuse. If fuse is blow (or circuit breaker fuse failed) then replace it and retry.  

Okay will do and get back to you on that hopefully that works... is it possible to contact MACK dealership parts department so they can help me with a fuse diagram for my truck since the diagram is missing that suppose to be in fuse box 

2 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

A evaporator core full of dirt and dust can cause a similar condition. I have had it happen in several vehicles where the AC would work fine then after a while stop. But if I went to lunch it would work after lunch

thanks for your helpful input but the evaporator core is brand new just installed it.

On 8/26/2019 at 2:04 PM, Mack Technician said:

If you have no air moving at start up it is not a freeze issue. And you say the fan completely stopped working suddenly....

You need to stop and get your HVAC (heating, ventilation, Air Conditioning) dash blower working. If blower motor fails to work on all three speed levels then check to see if you have a blown fuse. If fuse is blown (or circuit breaker fuse failed) then replace it and retry.  

I have the blower motor back going now I’m going to work on getting the air cool now I’m gonna clamp off the hose and drive it to see what that does...