gold dog chrome dog

I watched a video which was a national geographic documentary on the Macungie factory. The documentary was in the recent past as they covered the Titan quite extensively. The Mack employee installing the bulldog explained that gold bulldogs go on a pedigree Mack and Chrome goes on a mixed breed or in other words one with components other than Mack.

I purchased a 1970 steel dash R model in the early  '80s which had a gold bulldog and I was led to believe back then that the gold bulldog was for Thermodyne engines and the chrome bulldog was for Maxidyne engines.   Can anyone clear this up?

Around the time the CL CH models came out in the late 1980's.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

First number is chassis Chassis GVW Rating. Second two are the place holder for the engine code.  R685 - ENDT 675 Maxidyne ,      R686 - ENDT 676 Maxidyne,     R788-  ETAZ673 "300+" Mack - 350 h.p.Tip Turbine    Show no R688 models

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

10 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

First number is chassis Chassis GVW Rating. Second two are the place holder for the engine code.  R685 - ENDT 675 Maxidyne ,      R686 - ENDT 676 Maxidyne,     R788-  ETAZ673 "300+" Mack - 350 h.p.Tip Turbine    Show no R688 models

well I previously owned a 1980 R686 with the 300+ tip turbine and i previously owned a1989 R688 with a 4 valve 350 Econodyne and currently own a 1987 R686 with a 4 valve 350 Econodyne so that's in conflict but i do appreciate your response

10 hours ago, Prowrench said:

well I previously owned a 1980 R686 with the 300+ tip turbine and i previously owned a1989 R688 with a 4 valve 350 Econodyne and currently own a 1987 R686 with a 4 valve 350 Econodyne so that's in conflict but i do appreciate your response

Only going by Macks spec scan from the dealer.

P.T.CHESHIRE

11 hours ago, 41chevy said:

612 was the ETAZ673A,known as the 300+ rated at 315 hp,688 was the E6-350

It it in the WIKI section here.

P.T.CHESHIRE