76 Mack E9 head gasket!

I have a 76 Mack with a v8 ENDTB865, I blew a head gasket and can’t seem to find a part number, the nearest dealer is no help. Does anyone have a number or an idea? I figured I would also change the thermostat and I’ve been striking out there too, any info would be appreciated, I’m thinking the bad head gasket should solve my coolant system pressure issue 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 6:19 PM, Dieselpower170 said:
I have a 76 Mack with a v8 ENDTB865, I blew a head gasket and can’t seem to find a part number, the nearest dealer is no help. Does anyone have a number or an idea? I figured I would also change the thermostat and I’ve been striking out there too, any info would be appreciated, I’m thinking the bad head gasket should solve my coolant system pressure issue 

FIND A OLDER OR SEASONED MECHANIC, GO TO MACK DEALERSHIP ,AND THE SERVICE PERSON,OR MECHANICS ON DUTY ,WHEN JUST ABOUT CLOSE OR GET OFF ,ALSO CALL A MACK JUNK YARD WOUND KNOW .

From what I’ve gathered, the 865 is the predecessor of the E9, would those gaskets and stat be the same? I called both Mack and watts, waiting to hear back, the Mack dealer sold me some gaskets for the E9-400, I’m hoping those will be the same, I should have them sometime next week 

I ordered four 865/866 head gaskets for shop spares from the Mack dealer I use a bit less than a year ago. They were still supported at that time as were the upper and lower gaskets for the engine. Not much luck in the aftermarket for any parts for them any longer however.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/82630904/Mack-Kits-Service-amp-Assemblies-2009  

From June  10, 2009  Mack Truck Kits, Service assemblies and Accessories catalog, pages 58 and page 61

Head Gaskets for V8

57GC 197A for  E9 V-8

57GC 199 for   ENDT(B)865 – 866  V-8s

128SB 181 Head set Valve Grinding  / Valve Job  ENDT865, ENDT 866

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

3 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

https://www.scribd.com/doc/82630904/Mack-Kits-Service-amp-Assemblies-2009  

From June  10, 2009  Mack Truck Kits, Service assemblies and Accessories catalog, pages 58 and page 61

Head Gaskets for V8

57GC 197A for  E9 V-8

57GC 199 for   ENDT(B)865 – 866  V-8s

128SB 181 Head set Valve Grinding  / Valve Job  ENDT865, ENDT 866

Those numbers ring a bell for me. I have the upper set, (valve grinding) and lower set and all seals for a complete engine and four extra head gaskets for the same series. Those gasket sets were cheap in comparison to the custom made pistons and liners.....

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...