1959 ENDT673 Head gasket?

Dennis

It appears that I have a head gasket leaking antifreeze on my 1959 B753.  So far, just leaking outside on the block, nothing in the crankcase.  I am trying to figure out what head gasket I need as the literature I have shows a Type I (sandwich) and a Type II (folded steel) gasket for ENDT673 SERVICE ONLY (whatever that means).  Can someone give me a "heads up" on what gasket and maybe part number?  Thanks

If the engine is original it will have the smaller head studs than the later larger studs in the corners. I think the earlier engines used 20 5/8" head studs and the later engines used 16 5/8" studs and two 3/4" studs in the corners of the heads. That however is from memory. I like a composition type head gasket myself which is sometimes referred to as a "sandwich" type.

No idea to a part number as need to know the stud count first. The gaskets are NOT interchangeable between engines. Finding a gasket on the shelf for the older style can be a challenge also as they have been an extinct routine part number over 40 years I know of. Olsen's gaskets can make you one however and they have an online presence now.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I was thinking the earlier head studs were 5/8"? Been quite some time since I've had one of those apart so memory fades.....

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Mack still supports the old gasket types? They are the only place I've been able to get V8 gaskets for sure for the 865/866 series.

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 6:44 PM, theakerstwo said:

5/8 came along when the block started to have piston coolers and 20 studs.I don't remember the 18 stud ever going to 5/8

So I started to look for some of old engine manuals and cant find any so I looked in a green motors manual and it shows a 18 stud 5/8 stud which that could be a mistake.I did not see ant thing on 9/16 studs so ignore my statement.I have had many of those engine down but my mind is not the same any more.

glenn akers

No worries Glenn, your input is always welcome and appreciated. I couldn't find any reference to 9/16" studs in my books either but my green "Motor's" manual, and TS-442 going back into the very early 1960's only mention the 5/8", and 3/4" studs in the heads.

I've not had one of those engines down in eons either and since I've lost my marbles, I can't be counted on too well any longer.

When I did my old 673 I got a price from cook bro. 500.00 for the two gaskets wow! I got them from the gasket company out west for a lot less. I think it was Olson's . My engine had all the studs the same size if I can remember I painted the gaskets with aluminum paint when it gets hot the gaskets seal really good . never put the heads back on a 675 without painting them.

Used to do that with K&N "Kopper-Koat" back in the 70's and it worked really well. Can't remember a leaker myself especially on engines that did not use a composition type head gasket.

• 1 year later...

i know none of the Gurus are on here anymore. my end707 has the 20 stud, 237 head gaskets and fire rings. another 711 im working on has the 18 stud heads with the big corner bolts. when they went to the big corner bolts, did  simply ream the hole out in the gasket for the bigger bolts or did Mack actually make a bigger gasket??? and is the 3029-8213C - head gasket - EN707/END(T)673/END711 with 18 studs the newer version with the corner bolts bigger or the older version
?? btw Mack is in love with that part number. they want $258.77 a piece for head gaskets

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg