1989 Mack CH-600

Just a while ago I dug out all my old Mack CH brochures and the magazine articles covering the announcement of it. It really brought back good memories of my 2000 CH midrise E7-460.

I remember up to that point I used to get really excited about new truck introductions.

Now I see new model changes and it's....look at that piece of crap. LOL. I really hate change now.

I always like the sealed beam headlamps rather than the later "aero" style.

Hard to believe the style is 30+ years old but it's been that long since I was in the Navy.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I agree when they were young. Once the plastic got some age on it however..... Replaced a bunch of headlamp capsules, (as they are now called) in them after they started hazing, (yellowing) over.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I agree. Mine never got to that point. I was very careful about cleaning them. And I only had it until 2002 when all the engine issues turned it into a brand new 9900i, LOL. (which had horrible headlight power, but went 1.5 million KM problem free.)

Sad part is, I loved these Mack's and now all those ongoing E7 engine problems and electronic malfunctions are now all easy fixes.

I know. Used to get 10 year old cars in the shop and involved in a collision. Insurance companies only will pay for what was damaged in a collision and you can imagine what a new headlamp looks like next to an aged one. A good customer would get a new capsule at shop cost and a "one time wonder" would get a reduced from retail cost if elected. Really didn't want people to be unequal in lighting output as that really can be dangerous. Lost count of the number donated because someone legitimately could not afford to bear the cost too.....

The E-7 platform was sound but the early electronics were in their infancy as we now know. Much more reliable than some of the electronics installed on today's engines for sure.

Yes. That lightning bolt on the dash caused me and the dealer fits. Could never get it resolved. Come to find out only a couple years ago that it was just a bad mass ground.

And the casting sand issue. I went through 5 air compressors and air dryers before they got that all cleaned out. 

But when it ran, it ran awesome.

Central tie point grounding is consistently a bad idea IMO. So much is tied together it sends technicians on ghost trains a lot when a problem rears. Wiring connections and junctions too present problems but those can many times be broken down into component segments. It all manifests itself once someone starts chopping into it for t/s or additional components.

12 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Oakville was still going when the CH came out? I didn't realize that.

Yep. They used the excuse that the paint dept. Needed a complete revamp to accomdate painting newer units like the CH. Between the 3 truck plants 1 had to go. 2 were US plants. There were even costed out plans to build knock down Midliner kits and CMs at Oakville to keep things going after Winnsboro fired up. They were building mostly RDs near the end.

Shutdown was in 1993. 

It was 1993 then. I couldn't remember. My old R Model was built there.

I remember going buy the plant when they were still operating and you could see from the highway a line of big M Series off road haulers, CL350 ST loggers and RD800's.

What a sight! I wish I had pics of that. I would love to see that again. I only have the vision in my little pea brain, LOL.

I think the CH was a good truck but not as good as the R model. I never liked the looks of it. I felt day cab models looked unfinished between the cab bottom and frame components. there were excessive gaps leaving things exposed and seen on the frame. I feel KW and Pete were better at locating air tanks, batteries and fuel tanks along the frame. the macks were over complicated. but just my opinion. the CL on the other hand looked better but i never realy studied them to see what set them apart besides a longer hood