Cummins identification

Hi, I’ve searched google to no avail.

I have a big cam Cummins in an old 359 I purchased a while back. The number on the front timing cover is gone. I found a number on the left rear of the engine below the last head. Im wondering if someone could tell me the year maybe and series as well as possibly the original hp setting. Number is 34100261

i think. The second to last digit is very hard to tell. I also took a picture. Thank you all in advance. 

24DF3F3C-06D8-44B0-B2B1-54C4FDF4126D.jpeg

The CPL # 797 on the pump shows it as a  Big Cam IV from about 1985 to 1989 or 1990 when the NTC14 came out I think. My data shows the # by the pump. H.P. shows 350, 365 and up to 400. Not sure the differences though. Something I believe with their "new" mechanical timing possibly?

Known Big Cam IV CPL numbers
642 658 673 674 675 676 718 749 794 795 796    797     806 811 812 814 821 827 832 833 838 840 903 904 905 910 911 974 1185 1186 1187 1188 1210 1211 1352

Big Cam IV engines were introduced in 1985.
The features in this engine were:  New intercooler introduced.  Cross flow engines introduced.  Cylinder heads modified, not interchangeable with earlier models. Electronic Injection Begun  Pulse manifolds improved.

However, it appears not all Big Cam IV engines had all the new features.  Some new engines are called Big Cam IV  are not cross flow engines - they look more like Big Cam III engines, with the Big Cam III look intercooler, but they do have new-type pulse manifolds of the IV.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Thank you very much for that. 

Tag on the valve cover says it has top stop injectors. It has that huge looking turbo the old engines had. It’s definitely not the low flow and the intake or aftercooler has the “hump” for the intake piping in the center. I’m not positive on the exhaust but I believe it predates the pulse type manifold. I’ll try to get some pictures up in a few

Macktruckman, Go here.....https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html    Create an Account (It's Free) 

Register your ESN  (34100261) & you'll have access to  heaps of Info Parts books ect for that Engine  (second last Digit may be an 8 Maybe)

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

Engine Dataplate - (Original)  VIN: 
Marketing Model Name Service Model Name EPA Model Name
NTC-290 BIG-CAM NH/NT 855 Not Available
Shop Order Build Plant Build Date
SO9001 JEP - JAMESTOWN ENGINE PLANT 01 Aug 1977
Warranty Start Date ECM Code Fuel Pump Part #
12 May 1978 Not Available 3004188
Fuel Pump Calibration Marketing Engine Configuration # Technical Engine Configuration #
3114 Not Available D092203BX02
CPL # Customer Number Customer Name
CPL577 Not Available 01767

glenn akers

Don't look like a Big Cam IV that's for sure unless it's a spare parts rebuild? Definitely a BC IV 797 pump though.

Big Cam III
Big Cam III engines were introduced in 1983.
The features in this engine were: New pressed steel oil pans instead of aluminum,  a very noticeable feature. New oil cooler and water pump. Top Stop injectors modified to Direct Fuel Feed.  First use of the Holset HT3B turbocharger.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

4 minutes ago, Macktruckman said:

Yes that’s awesome that’s what I was after

could I bother you with what it would be if the next to last digit was an 8 instead of 6?

So what does it ID as??    Paul

P.T.CHESHIRE

It does have a steel oil pan. 

I’m thinking it’s a mix of parts.

Not being able to clearly identify that next to last digit may mean I never learn. 

I was told it started as a

Big Cam III, 350hp. But the chart posted by theakerstwo reads it as a ntc290. I assume would mean a 1st series big cam?

Engine Service Information ( 34100281 -  NH/NT 855)

Free - Cummins Guidanz™ Web Training via Skype for North American Dealers. Click here for more information.

Engine Dataplate - (Original)  VIN: 
Marketing Model Name Service Model Name EPA Model Name
NTC-290 BIG-CAM NH/NT 855 Not Available
Shop Order Build Plant Build Date
SO9001 JEP - JAMESTOWN ENGINE PLANT 04 Aug 1977
Warranty Start Date ECM Code Fuel Pump Part #
16 Jan 1978 Not Available 3004188
Fuel Pump Calibration Marketing Engine Configuration # Technical Engine Configuration #
3114 Not Available D092203BX02
CPL # Customer Number Customer Name
CPL577 Not Available 01767

glenn akers

NTC290 would be around 270 h.p.  but  hard I believe to accurately nail down. Block is definitely an NTC 290 part.  the top stop injectors will fit in most all pre 1985.

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

It’s been tinkered with. My mechanic that helps me and I are talking about cutting it back a little. It has tons of power and it has every quick throttle response and will turn @ 2700 rpm. 

I think it definitely needs governed back down to 2100rpm or so. 

1 hour ago, Macktruckman said:

That’s an awful lot of scrap iron swinging around at 2700 in my opinion and limited knowledge 

you are very right, at about 50 more rpms the valves & pistons catch up to each other, when that happens you have a scrap pile. and that looks like a cummins vt-50 turbo

1 hour ago, Macktruckman said:

It’s been tinkered with. My mechanic that helps me and I are talking about cutting it back a little. It has tons of power and it has every quick throttle response and will turn @ 2700 rpm. 

I think it definitely needs governed back down to 2100rpm or so. 

They were factory set to run about 2100 2150.

P.T.CHESHIRE