Type 45 brake light

Pacifica Pete

Hello all. The tail light i have for my 1949 Type 45 is falling apart and seems to be missing a part. I have no idea if it is the original or not. Can anyone out there with a type 45 post a few pics of their tail light so I can compare? Also, my rig has only 1 tail light (left of course). Does anyone know if any of these trucks were supplied with Left and Right?

Pete

This is the light i have. It certainly is old because both the main lens and the license plate light lens are glass. The back of the bulb socket is obviously missing, and the red glass lens just falls back into the housing. I'm guessing it may have had a clip ring or some other method of securing it into the trim bezel?

IMG_6974.JPG

IMG_6975.JPG

IMG_6976.JPG

IMG_6977.JPG

Maybe the wrong lens for the assembly?  Tail lights on trucks in that era were pretty generic.  If there are any numbers on the housing, a computer search may give some more info.

Also, in that time period one tail light was fairly typical.  A truck could have been built with a pair if that was specified by the purchaser.  Updating to a right hand light would probably be a good idea with all the idiots on the road. 

I put a set of these lights on a truck of that same general age.  The housing is black which is ok for me.  They could be painted red or you could get some with a chrome housing.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/early_v8_ford_truck/tail-light-assembly-ford-1946-47-pickup-truck-red-lens-6-and-12-volt-bulbs-left.html

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

found my answer on Ebay - I found a pic of a lens assembly for sale and indeed it has a clip ring. I also learned that the same lamps were used on Willys jeeps so reproductions are available but mainly with a black housing. Now to find an extra Mack tailight bracket so I can add a right side lamp....

s-l1600.jpg

Have a photo of your bracket? I may have one in my stuff.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 3/12/2019 at 7:08 PM, 609albert said:

Their a fellow in PA. that reproduced the Mack brackets for taillights call Cal Little in Hummelstown Pa,(near Hersey) 1-717-566-8973   that is where I got mine for my 54 LS85

thanks for the lead, ill look into that!

Definitely do not have any cast brackets! Prison Shop Red is okay. Saw an article on a inmate restored Seagrave a few years ago. The work was very will done. Does give new meaning to having it in ''paint jail''   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

25 minutes ago, 41chevy said:

Definitely do not have any cast brackets! Prison Shop Red is okay. Saw an article on a inmate restored Seagrave a few years ago. The work was very will done. Does give new meaning to having it in ''paint jail''   Paul

Wish that I could say ours was well done.. it's basically a big red orange peel. and they painted over a lot of things that shouldn't have been painted, while simultaneously loosing/failing to reinstall a bunch of fasteners. Additionally, the nice gold striping was never re applied. This all occurred way before I inherited the project but the legacy lives on.... but hey it could be way worse, and it still looks cool rolling by in a parade so what the heck. -Pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...