B model AWD Springs

Gathered most all of the parts needed to make my B mixer AWD. Got the correct driven steer axle, the correct trans with transfer case, both drive shafts, drag and centerlinks,  but unable to get the part numbers or even the spring specs so I can have a spring shop make them up. Any info??

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, Hobert62 said:

Are you using modern drive train parts, or by saying correct you mean original period correct ones?

Trans and transfer case are 1962 Mack, Driven Steer is from a 6x6  B model  logger from Oregon. The Driven steer is with in 1 1/2 '' over all width from spring pad to spring pad to the B steer and the same width hub to hub. Same driven steer that was put in the B8136SX unit.  Rear bogies are Mack  SWD68 series. mainly I need leaf count, width and length of the leaves to have them made up.

Basically I'm building a copy of a 8136 chassis.

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Building a model truck using a 1:1 scale!

Donovan Spring in Manchester, NH had a fellow customizing springs and he had all the old books.  On any given day, he might be found taking apart some sort of GMC front spring pack to get a particular leaf that would be a perfect match to replace a leaf in a Packard rear spring pack. 

Hopefully you can find "the old guy" at a spring shop.  The fellow retired from Donovan and I have only needed off the shelf stuff so I can't comment on the custom shop these days.

The spring width will be determined by the width of the frame spring mounts and the axle perch.  The front is a slipper so the length can be fudged a little.  Going to take a little extrapolation to do the CL.  This 576 has 9 or 10 leaves but who knows if the specs would be the same for you?

mack Spring - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

15 hours ago, j hancock said:

Building a model truck using a 1:1 scale!

Donovan Spring in Manchester, NH had a fellow customizing springs and he had all the old books.  On any given day, he might be found taking apart some sort of GMC front spring pack to get a particular leaf that would be a perfect match to replace a leaf in a Packard rear spring pack. 

Hopefully you can find "the old guy" at a spring shop.  The fellow retired from Donovan and I have only needed off the shelf stuff so I can't comment on the custom shop these days.

The spring width will be determined by the width of the frame spring mounts and the axle perch.  The front is a slipper so the length can be fudged a little.  Going to take a little extrapolation to do the CL.  This 576 has 9 or 10 leaves but who knows if the specs would be the same for you?

mack Spring - Copy.jpg

The axle looks much different than mine. Mine is more military style with gear drive ends instead of universals.  Now I'm wondering if it is a B or an NO axle.

P.T.CHESHIRE

13 hours ago, 41chevy said:

The axle looks much different than mine. Mine is more military style with gear drive ends instead of universals.  Now I'm wondering if it is a B or an NO axle.

NO front axle had 9.02 ratio.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

5 hours ago, j hancock said:

The plot thickens....   Do you have any numbers on the axle housing for identification?

Mack part number ??    2QH4122P1,  pumpkin casting 5200K401.   6.83 ratio.  THats what I can see with out pulling out on the container.

Edited by 41chevy

P.T.CHESHIRE

Here is a fleabay ad using that 2QH number and then crosses it to Meritor.  If it is accurate, getting Meritor parts may be easier than Mack Vulva if you get into a bind and need something.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meritor-Rockwell-Front-Drive-Steer-Axle-Differential-Model-No-FDS1802-SAX3/112777469620

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

4 hours ago, j hancock said:

Here is a fleabay ad using that 2QH number and then crosses it to Meritor.  If it is accurate, getting Meritor parts may be easier than Mack Vulva if you get into a bind and need something.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Meritor-Rockwell-Front-Drive-Steer-Axle-Differential-Model-No-FDS1802-SAX3/112777469620

Wonder if it in military spec. although when I bought it I was told it was in a B model logger. Have to see what Meritor/ Rockwell people have to say after I get it on the ground looks to be a tag on the ham.

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 2/11/2019 at 4:03 PM, j hancock said:

Helms Interchange Manual show the part numbers from Mack and Meritor-Rockwell used in Kaiser, AM General and  Mack M123 10 ton semi tractors.

P.T.CHESHIRE

This is how a factory B-model looked with that setup. As I was told the front axle and the transfer case were of the same style as Mack NO had. Maybe excepting the gear ratios.

For some reason I think the frame rails are stepped at the front to clear up the drive axle. NO was made that way. But I'm not sure for the B.

DSC02570.JPG

MackNo2007-1.jpg

Edited by Vladislav

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

B model 6x6 has a straight rail for the M.H. or Howe conversions 2inch step for the M/R and Coleman conversions. M123 has a straight top of the rail and a 2 inch step on the lower rail and is 1 1/2 inches narrower, which explains the difference.  Mount to spring for B and R is with spring blocks to set spacing as per Craig Trout from J.O.T..

The Grey chassis has an AxleTech 4000 military set up with gear reduction hubs from a 2 1/2 to 5 ton Military cargo truck. Axle rated at 19,000 lbs. and ratios from 4.35 to 13.74 most common is 6.86

• Like 1

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 2/9/2019 at 9:31 PM, Hobert62 said:

Are you using modern drive train parts, or by saying correct you mean original period correct ones?

If you are interested I may be getting rid of the powered steer I have. I located a Howe Coleman powered steer out of a B model  in New Jersey. As soon as the snow stops I'll be heading up to buy it as long as it is complete and no broken castings.   Paul.

1173932353_aatrkptsfreeholdnj.thumb.jpg.d5f89ce7a3222aca081c57c75a2b2293.jpg

P.T.CHESHIRE