Scania V8 slashes fuel bills

kscarbel2

Scania Group Press Release  /  January 10, 2019

Swedish haulier Skaraslättens Åkeri has reduced its fleet’s annual fuel bill by nearly EUR 10,000 per truck since it traded in the R 580 for new Scania R 520 trucks.

In addition to owning 31 trucks and 350 trailers, Skaraslättens also subcontracts additional services from 50 haulage companies. They jointly transport incoming goods from Asia destined for major retailers such as Ikea. On return trips, the trucks load bundles of wood for export.

V8 R 520 makes a remarkable difference

Skaraslättens maintains a policy of regularly renewing its all-Scania fleet and limits vehicle age to a maximum of three years, or 400,000 kilometres. This means the trucks are in excellent condition and still fetch a healthy residual value when they are sold on. 

“Last year, we purchased 20 new trucks. Receiving the new V8 Scania R 520 turned out to be a stroke of luck; the difference is remarkable,” says Skaraslättens’ Head of Finance, Håkan Johansson.

The V8’s power is vital, since the haulier often handles heavy 60-tonne loads of two containers. “It’s all about logistics: the bigger the operation, the more assignments can be performed,” he says.

20 percent less fuel consumption in just two years

Johansson notes that Scania said that its new generation could provide a five percent increase in fuel efficiency, and adds that Skaraslättens has easily improved upon this figure in its operations.In fact, records show that Skaraslättens’ R 580 trucks averaged 41.5 litres per 100 kilometres in 2016, which dropped to 39.2 litres the following year. With the arrival of the new R 520 trucks, fuel consumption has been reduced to just 33.1 litres per 100 kilometres; that’s 20 percent less than two years ago.

Across the fleet, that fuel efficiency translates into an annual savings of more than
EUR 300,000. “That could be the difference between make or break for a company,” says Johansson.

Driver incentives influence fuel savings

The savings are partially passed on to the drivers through an incentive programme; a portion of the hourly wages is based on driving performance.

“In my estimation, I would say that two-thirds of the fuel consumption can be attributed to the truck, while the driver can influence the remainder,” says Johansson.

Photo 5.jpg

Scania never built much to look at in trucks, but their engines, (especially the V8) were always a force to be reckoned with.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Scania never built much to look at in trucks, but their engines, (especially the V8) were always a force to be reckoned with.

To each his own.......

In my mind, COEs are beautiful, and some of the most attractive were/are produced by decades-long former Mack partner Scania.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

Easy enough to like the plastic shell, I just want to know one thing...………….does it have an electric prime?

Kevinnnnn!  Does it have an electric primer?  Were Trying to establish are these guys more forward thinking than Volvo ? I think hes talkin about the cab! If I were to like CAB overs  and I am not a fan however !  I think the MH was the best cab over ever made by anyone.  Beauty is in the Eye of the beholder! Had they provided a proper Cab jack with an MH it would have been perfect! For a cabover!🙄😁

Edited by fjh
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, fjh said:

Kevinnnnn!  Does it have an electric primer?  Were Trying to establish are these guys more forward thinking than Volvo ? I think hes talkin about the cab! If I were to like CAB overs  and I am not a fan however !  I think the MH was the best cab over ever made by anyone.  Beauty is in the Eye of the beholder! Had they provided a proper Cab jack with an MH it would have been perfect! For a cabover!🙄😁

Look guys, it's very late and I've got the flu. Yes, an electric lift pump is an available option, as it is with most global truckmakers. To meet the US market price point, Volvo apparently doesn't offer it there.

Never ever had an issue with the Ultra-Liner's cab jack. The MH was also available with an optional air actuated cab lift pump (supplier Power Packer now offers electric as well). I'm also partial to the Cruise-Liner (despite its many shortcomings), and both F and G models. There are very good reasons why COE design is the global standard, but to each his own.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I reckon a Scania V8 powered IH 9900i would sell well down here in Road train & heavy haulage work...

Wishful thinking I know........

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 10:33 AM, fjh said:

What was wrong with the cab jack? Same as any other COE

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

I found the cab jacks to be borderline for the job once the jockey box was loaded these were barely adequate Don’t think the engineering people took in to account the extra weight people put were carring in the boxes!