When did the Mack R/DM and F series get the 3 bar grille?

My favorite Macks are the R and DM models. I know the early ones had grilles with multiple vertical vanes but at some point these series started having grilles or a radiator surround with  3 thin chrome bars and chrome horizontal bars crossing them. What year did they start having these? I noticed F series with them too. I really liked those.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mack_R_series#/media/File:Mack_R_model.jpg

I can never seem to load my own pics here lol.

There were two kinds of that grille. The ones you could see on later R-RD-RB were flat stampings bolted onto the chassis mounted air cooler as mentioned above. When you open the hood the grill rests on the radiator assembly. The F-model grill was another story. It was stamped together with its framing and was attached to the cab front panel. Same style was used on Eastern R700 serie. Can't tell the reason but it goes out together with the hood when you open it. The vertical bars you see on earlier R's is a shutters assembly.

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

32 minutes ago, Vladislav said:

There were two kinds of that grille. The ones you could see on later R-RD-RB were flat stampings bolted onto the chassis mounted air cooler as mentioned above. When you open the hood the grill rests on the radiator assembly. The F-model grill was another story. It was stamped together with its framing and was attached to the cab front panel. Same style was used on Eastern R700 serie. Can't tell the reason but it goes out together with the hood when you open it. The vertical bars you see on earlier R's is a shutters assembly.

Makes sense. Now that you mention it some DM and early RD  with that grille also had bar on the front bumper. So by the grille being mounted onto the chassis, the bumper bar would not get in the way of the of the hood when it opened.