I woke the truck up today to move it from the dirt storage area to the asphalt so I can finally deal with the lift pump and fuel lines.

Last weekend I decreased the injector pump and surrounding area with two cans of gunk engine cleaner and a bunch of water

Today I refilled the fuel filters, the primary was down a couple of inches.

The truck started without much issue

The new problem is the air pressure built up until the pressure release vented.

Do I also need to replace the governor or is there another issue?

Probably the governor.. I have "rebuilt" them along side the road by pulling the plunger and cleaning with starting fluid!!! Be sure to take the small air line OFF First.. Ask me how I know!!!

Brocky

Tuesday I removed the lift pump and fuel lines and dropped everything off at the parts house so they could make new fuel lines and get a replacement lift pump and I am in a holding pattern until they get everything.

I did find a lot of oil crud on the block under the injector pump. It has a wet look to it just in front of the tach drive cable, which was very loose. It could be old crud mixed with the engine cleaner or a leak. I will wait until the engine is steam cleaned unless anyone has any other thoughts.

1850dcf894a11bcc65b5300b381bca51.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I put the rebuilt lift pump in, along with new hoses and filters. After priming the truck ran good. That night it started right up after sitting for 5 hours.

Today it was back to its old self in the morning but did start easily

Now it has a new issue the fuel shut off lever will not move its full travel, it appears to be stuck in the run portion and won't rotate to the stop position. It moves about half of what it used to and the truck will not start

So I am at a loss, what happened

In the run position it is a hard stop

It travels about 1", approximately half its original travel, towards the stop position and stops like it is bound up.

If I crank the engine it may sometimes travel the full stroke but most of the time is limited to this partial travel

• 4 weeks later...

According to the local diesel pump rebuilder, the pump needs to be rebuilt.

I have not found a mobile mechanic that is willing to work on a Mack engine but the pump shop will do the work.

Since I am still waiting for the gaskets and some other parts I have been working on other projects.

This is the frame before

f507cc45ad70b3ff06cd1bc90b10dacf.jpg

And this is it after

a92091cd111298ac6481bf932d5ae704.jpg

Now for the sad part, Monday I discovered that I needed a part for the Ford FT900. I emailed the old part number and vin to ford at 4 pm and by 10 the next morning I had the parts ordered, it will be here in 5 to 7 days, no shipping charges. Ford still supports these old trucks, to a point, but Volvo has hung Mack out to dry

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...