98 E7 mack

david wild

So what makes this engine clank and clunk, this is the worst sounding engine I have ever owned, power is fine, oil stays clean, real clean for a Mack, never gets hot on big hills, pull the hill going into Austin NV with 90k you will get hot in July, not this dog, stays cool just clanks and clunks I had overhead run twice by 2 different Mack shops, both said it's fine and sounds fine to them, I can't stand to listen to it idle, any cure other than wear ear muffs, goes down road fine just idles worse than a old pc cat. 

7 hours ago, david wild said:

So what makes this engine clank and clunk, this is the worst sounding engine I have ever owned, power is fine, oil stays clean, real clean for a Mack, never gets hot on big hills, pull the hill going into Austin NV with 90k you will get hot in July, not this dog, stays cool just clanks and clunks I had overhead run twice by 2 different Mack shops, both said it's fine and sounds fine to them, I can't stand to listen to it idle, any cure other than wear ear muffs, goes down road fine just idles worse than a old pc cat. 

Get you some straight pipes put on it & turn them to the side where you can hear it & get you a bunch of gauges put in & it’ll keep you occupied enough not to hear it clank & clunk. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don’t listen too long or think too much. One night I was installing off-road lights on the CV713 tractor. I left it idle while I worked so the batteries would maintain. I started listening too much. Every so many seconds it would “Pock, Pock, Pock” a metallic hammer. Got convinced it was losing a cam. 10,000 miles later the oil sample is still clean. 

That is the problem, runs fine, oil is perfect just sounds awful when at idle, just thought their was some cure to the noise, don't listen to radio, grew up on farm, father said you can't hear crap going wrong with radio on, 50 years later still ride listening for something to go wrong and it has, and stopped in time not to have such a big problem that I did not get home, beside not much crap on radio except for oldies stations I would listen too, even listening to the loons from the left has got to the point that I don't waste my time on their brain dead  crap. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...