Volkswagen introduces new 31.390 Constellation 8x4 logger

kscarbel2

Volkswagen Truck & Bus Press Release  /  June 11, 2018

Equipped with additional axle, the all-new 8x4 31.390 vocational model extends its load capacity by some 25% over the 31.390 6x4.

The logging industry has just gained a new partner, the Volkswagen Constellation 31.390 8x4 rigid.

The truck’s rear axles feature automatic “no-spin” inter-wheel differential locking technology, complementing the inter-axle differential lock, allowing the truck to traverse the most difficult terrain.

The first models produced are already in field tests with logging customers including Breda, and according to Eduardo Pilon, operations Manager of the company, the results are quite positive.

"The new 8x4 Constellations are about 3,000 pounds lighter than the current ones in operation, even equipped with additional axle. This extends our load capacity by about 10% on each trip, which undoubtedly brings us hard-hitting operational gains, "explains Pilon.

The vehicles of the fleet of Breda run on average 10,000 kilometers/month, in the region of Vale do Paraíba, in the interior Paulista, loaded with logs of wood.

"The trucks run 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They only stop for maintenance. And even with severe use, in complex topography conditions, the VW Constellation only required preventive maintenance, proving to be quite robust, "said José Henrique da Silva, operational coordinator of Breda.

Photo 1.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

i wonder what Western Star think of them using the "Constellation"  Model designation???

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

The Brazilian management at VW Truck & Bus, personal friends of mine for many years, are as passionate and driven about trucks as the people at Ford-Otosan. That statement should speak volumes about what kind of organization it is. They've done a terrific job, and proof is their position as market leader, the envy of all the competition.

Introduced in 2005, management has done a superb job of evolving the Constellation range forward.

Due to abrupt currency valuation swings and other, Brazil is the most challenging truck market in the world. If one can succeed there, you have accomplished something.

Photo 1.jpg

2 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

The Brazilian management at VW Truck & Bus, personal friends of mine for many years, are as passionate and driven about trucks as the people at Ford-Otosan. That statement should speak volumes about what kind of organization it is. They've done a terrific job, and proof is their position as market leader, the envy of all the competition.

Introduced in 2005, management has done a superb job of evolving the Constellation range forward.

Due to abrupt currency valuation swings and other, Brazil is the most challenging truck market in the world. If one can succeed there, you have accomplished something.

Photo 1.jpg

Kevin,

I wonder how they (as well as Ford) can compete in a market that has such low demand figures-at least I think the market is small based on numbers I have seen.    Certainly nothing like the US class 7 and 8 numbers right?  Or are the safety/environmental compliance regs easy compared to ours that developmental costs are relatively low?

4 minutes ago, Red Horse said:

Kevin,

I wonder how they (as well as Ford) can compete in a market that has such low demand figures-at least I think the market is small based on numbers I have seen.    Certainly nothing like the US class 7 and 8 numbers right?  Or are the safety/environmental compliance regs easy compared to ours that developmental costs are relatively low?

You’re exactly right Bob. And for that reason, VW and Ford trucks were at one time produced in the same plant, the successful Volkswagen-Ford Autolatina joint venture, to reduce costs and enhance profitability.

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/topic/35895-from-lt-to-worker-volkswagen’s-versatile-long-lasting-“lt”-cab/?tab=comments#comment-247242