Swap transmissions?

The 673 I'm using for my 1960 H67 is out of a 1958 H67; the transmission has some issues so I was hoping to use the trans out of my 1959. As you can see in the photos, the '58 has an adapter ring on the bellhousing (the flywheel housing on the '58 engine is shallower). Does anybody know if I can just swap the adapter onto the '59 transmission? They're both duplex transmissions.

159.jpg

160.jpg

I would put a straight edge across the one with the adapter and measure how far the input shaft sticks out, Swap the adapter to your other trans and see if the dimension is the same.   Is the input shaft a bigger diameter  then the one you took out of the your truck?  The part of the input shaft that goes in to the pilot bearing different also?  Paul

• Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

21 hours ago, 41chevy said:

I would put a straight edge across the one with the adapter and measure how far the input shaft sticks out, Swap the adapter to your other trans and see if the dimension is the same.   Is the input shaft a bigger diameter  then the one you took out of the your truck?  The part of the input shaft that goes in to the pilot bearing different also?  Paul

The measurements look good; the one with the adapter has a 1-1/2" input shaft and the other has a 2". I think I can just swap the disc because the flywheels, pressure plates, and the pilot bearing are the same.

53 minutes ago, Maddog13407 said:

kinda hard to tell by the pictures but it looks like one is a 67 and one is a 72 series? i maybe be wrong

The transmissions are completely different; the one has 2 internal shift forks but the other has an external rod to shift hi-lo. The housings are completely different, but it looks like all the attachment points are the same.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

67 series was a cheaper box. id go with the bigger box. and they mounts may look the same but they are different between the two

How can I tell which one is the 67 series? The mount brackets are different (the '58 hangs about 2" lower in the chassis, do you know why?), but the bosses on the transmission look the same.

8 hours ago, Maddog13407 said:

67 the bell is mated to the trans all in one piece. the 72 has a removeable bell and some 72 series had as smaller bell but they are scarce. not sure what you actually have without more pictures.

Seems like years ago I took a 72 series transmission out of a B53 that had a smaller bell on the trans.    terry:MackLogo:

i scrapped a B62 that someone swapped in a 673 and used the original 10 speed 72 series. they actually torched the  trans mounts, moved them back and rewelded them . this had the smaller bell on the 72 series. never understood that cause you could get the 67 or 72 behind a 464 gas job. the mounts look the same but even the front motor frame mount is different between say a B62 or B68 and a B61 so i assume its the same for an H series

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

Well, I got to looking at it today and you can't put the adapter on the other trans...the bolt circle is smaller. I tried to swap the flywheel housing off the '59 but when I put a dial indicator on it, it's .032" off center. Does anyone know if you can have a machine shop move the dowel pin holes? It sounds like a complicated fix.

1 hour ago, h67st said:

Well, I got to looking at it today and you can't put the adapter on the other trans...the bolt circle is smaller. I tried to swap the flywheel housing off the '59 but when I put a dial indicator on it, it's .032" off center. Does anyone know if you can have a machine shop move the dowel pin holes? It sounds like a complicated fix.

The proper way to center flywheel housing, is remove dowel pins, center housing and ream dowel holes, and drive oversize pins in.   terry:MackLogo:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, terry said:

The proper way to center flywheel housing, is remove dowel pins, center housing and ream dowel holes, and drive oversize pins in.   terry:MackLogo:

Is that something you have to use a milling machine for? Sounds like a process I can't do in my shop, especially with the engine assembled.

5 hours ago, h67st said:

Is that something you have to use a milling machine for? Sounds like a process I can't do in my shop, especially with the engine assembled.

no milling unless flywheel housing was run real loose for a long time, can do it with engine in the frame, maybe there is something you are not understanding? like I said remove flywheel housing, remove dowel pins, install flywheel housing and dial indicate to find center, and tighten bolts, ream dowel pin holes to a size you can get oversized dowel pin for and pound them in.     terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, terry said:

no milling unless flywheel housing was run real loose for a long time, can do it with engine in the frame, maybe there is something you are not understanding? like I said remove flywheel housing, remove dowel pins, install flywheel housing and dial indicate to find center, and tighten bolts, ream dowel pin holes to a size you can get oversized dowel pin for and pound them in.     terry:MackLogo:

Thank you! I will give this a shot.