A power problem with a 1997 E350

Waltleon1

I just bought a 1997 ch613 with the E350 with a 6 speed, drove it home bobtail and yes it was a little sluggish after 4 gear and on up. Got it home and hooked it to a 12000 lbs trailer and it don't have any power to pull it hardly. It's had a fresh oil change and fule filter change. But it does have a copilot thing on the dash I know nothing about. I Need some help on this one!?!? 

6DDFE0E5-A2EB-4824-ABA1-22D74246443F.jpg

35 minutes ago, alex g said:

Never saw a copilot before. Maybe see what it's wired into and eliminate it if it's not necessary which I doubt it is. Is your turbo building boost that can definitely cause it to be sluggish

Yes the turbo is building boost, it has the power 1 and 2nd gear after that it really don't have the power to pull

a

11 hours ago, Waltleon1 said:

Yes the turbo is building boost, it has the power 1 and 2nd gear after that it really don't have the power to pull

I must say 6sp is an odd trans to have in front of a 350! could it be may be a 9 speed?

12 hours ago, alex g said:

Never saw a copilot before. Maybe see what it's wired into and eliminate it if it's not necessary which I doubt it is. Is your turbo building boost that can definitely cause it to be sluggish

It is a monitor system. Newer video but still most of the same functions as the '97

https://resources.macktrucks.com/videos/mack-trucks-co-pilot-video

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

We have a fleet owner who bought 5-6 of those 6spd units off of Manders Diesel. T2060A trans with a flat curve engine. Ultra light units. Hauled flat beds of lumber, on dedicated day runs, over flat land. 7 MPG+. He eventually switched to long case when he diversified the hauling.

Start with a tune up. If your hauling easy it may be a decent truck. Injectors check, timing check, CMCAC pressure check, fuel PSI check, etc. etc. 

Edited by Mack Technician

Yup, the 6 speed transmission would suggest a Maxidyne. But the 6 cylinder Maxidyne in the U.S. had a top rating of only 300 HP until 2001, so are you sure this is a 350? But even if it's only a 300 or even a 275 or 250, it should be well capable of moving 80k# loads, just not real quickly. So like MT said, first check to make sure the engine is running as it should.

39 minutes ago, Maxidyne said:

Yup, the 6 speed transmission would suggest a Maxidyne. But the 6 cylinder Maxidyne in the U.S. had a top rating of only 300 HP until 2001, so are you sure this is a 350? But even if it's only a 300 or even a 275 or 250, it should be well capable of moving 80k# loads, just not real quickly. So like MT said, first check to make sure the engine is running as it should.

Mack came out with a different 6spd in the later 90s For a lightweight truck. I don't think it was like the old 6 speed's. 

There was a 6 speed "gathered ratio" transmission offered in the 300 series Maxitorques, but I think a 97 would have been too early for that. IIRC there was a 100 series Maxitorque 5 speed with a closer ratio 4th gear that could be made a six speed with the low hole gears, but 97 is kinda late for a 100 series. Gonna have to dig up some old spec sheets...

Turns out there was a 2060 series gathered ratio transmission that would sorta work with a conventional torque rise E7-350. The first couple splits are pretty wide though and wouldn't work well if the truck had to climb a lot of steep grades.

I asked that question because I thought It maybe a torque limit switch holding him out on power However I have Never layed eyes on one of these transmissions so Can't make that recommendation With confidence !