Johnny_B

Hey folks, 

Tonight was the night! The title has been transferred to my name and I am officially the owner of a 1958 B-61. I'm still trying to learn about this truck. I've wanted a "B" ever since I was a kid and finally it has happened. I've attached pictures of her. Hopefully it will become everything I have hoped for! Not quite ready to start working on her but I couldn't let one slip through my fingers, especially this close to the house. I'm open to any input. 

received_1999945416744450.jpeg

received_1999945320077793.jpeg

received_1999945353411123.jpeg

received_1999945336744458.jpeg

received_1999945460077779.jpeg

received_1999945473411111.jpeg

received_1999945296744462.jpeg

• Like 1

Welcome!  Looks like you have a project now. 

A B-61 is a diesel powered truck not gasoline.  Does the VIN match between the door tag and the number on the right front frame rail?

Seeing that it was a tandem rear suspension and also an extended front bumper, was it a cement mixer?

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Congratulations on your find. The emblem on the hood is B-61 and as pointed out the engine gas. A little research will tell which has been changed. I like the air bags, means smooth ride when you get her on the road. Good Luck.

4 hours ago, j hancock said:

Welcome!  Looks like you have a project now. 

A B-61 is a diesel powered truck not gasoline.  Does the VIN match between the door tag and the number on the right front frame rail?

Seeing that it was a tandem rear suspension and also an extended front bumper, was it a cement mixer?

I was told it started life as a cement mixer. It is double framed. I need to dig into it more to figure out which gas motor I have. I believe it is the Continental 6 cylinder. It's married to the quadraplex 5x4. Couldn't pass it up for how solid it is. I'd love to switch it back to diesel and as cool as it would be to keep the trans, maybe put an 8LL in it. The suspension on the rear was changed two owners ago and basically left as is by the owner I got it from. He included a newer style front axle to complete the conversion.

Edited by Johnny_B

Contact the Mack Museum with your VIN and a decent donation for the trucks build sheet. It will have a the info on how it was optioned, specs and more. The people there are all volunteers so a nice donation helps a lot.    Paul

Mack Trucks Historical Museum located at the Mack Customer Center

2402 Lehigh Parkway South
Allentown, PA 18103
Telephone: 610-351-8999
Email: mack.museum@macktrucks.com

• Like 1
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

1 hour ago, 41chevy said:

Contact the Mack Museum with your VIN and a decent donation for the trucks build sheet. It will have a the info on how it was optioned, specs and more. The people there are all volunteers so a nice donation helps a lot.    Paul

Mack Trucks Historical Museum located at the Mack Customer Center

2402 Lehigh Parkway South
Allentown, PA 18103
Telephone: 610-351-8999
Email: mack.museum@macktrucks.com

Cool, good to know. Is there any way to decode a vin number for these online? Having a hard time finding information. 

First  B - model

Second and third is the engine such as 42, 61, 75 etc.  (diesel and gasoline)

fourth and fifth  chassis style  T- tractor, ST - tandem tractor, P straight chassis single axle. SX extreme service tandem plus a bunch more.

rest of the numbers would be the sequential build number. (numbers start at 1000)

Example  B42SX-1501   B model with a 401 flathead gasoline engine tandem extreme service and the 501 built

B61ST-11234  B model with 673 diesel engine tandem tractor 10234 built

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/tutorials/article/206-b-model-engine-data/

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/tutorials/article/208-b-model-production-info/

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

10 minutes ago, j hancock said:

First  B - model

Second and third is the engine such as 42, 61, 75 etc.  (diesel and gasoline)

fourth and fifth  chassis style  T- tractor, ST - tandem tractor, P straight chassis single axle. SX extreme service tandem plus a bunch more.

rest of the numbers would be the sequential build number. (numbers start at 1000)

Example  B42SX-1501   B model with a 401 flathead gasoline engine tandem extreme service and the 501 built

B61ST-11234  B model with 673 diesel engine tandem tractor 10234 built

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/tutorials/article/206-b-model-engine-data/

https://www.bigmacktrucks.com/tutorials/article/208-b-model-production-info/

Awesome info, thank you. It appears that I do not have a B61 but rather a B-42. VIN reads B42S15224. Regardless, I still love it. I can't wait to get it home. Also, it has the power steering setup that's driven off the rear of the generator. From what I gather, that's a hard to find option? Maybe it'll become a B-61 someday 😉

• Like 1

Don't forget to come to the ATCA Macungie Father's Day Weekend Truck Show!!! You can talk to all of the liars errrr ahhhh I mean guys on here as well as legitimate and reputable folks as well. If the weather is nice, 700+ trucks will show up on Saturday. Us BigMackTruck.com guys do a group mug shot I mean photo at the Watts Mack tent at 12:00pm on the Saturday of the show. You can also do a self-paced walking tour of the Mack Trucks Macungie Assembly Plant as well as the Mack Museum, buses provide transportation free of charge (courtesy of Mack) from the show grounds. 

Here is a flyer to the show:
http://antiquetruckclub.org/forms/2018 Natl Meet Flyer.pdf

• Like 1

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

• 1 month later...