Freightrain to the NHRA phone

41chevy

After 3 years getting the SVO dialed in I swapped it for  a 1971  Pinto that also came with  a fist full of cash. NHRA changed my class rules and no longer allows forced induction. No way to make the Mustang comply. I'll post a Pinto pic when I get back home later.

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

No. Ex Mickey Thompson.Never really run more the a few times so it's said. It's been sitting since his murder. No engine, set up for an FE Shot Gun unit with a Garlits Drive. I'll most likely dig out my 72 season Alcohol Dodge. I can't justifiy 26g's for a 612 c.i. plus an other 10g for the 14/71 , Hilborn injection and  blower drive.

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Sounds pretty cool.

I just spent all weekend thrashing to get my stuff all cleaned and loaded to get over to Beaver Springs for the FE Reunion this coming weekend.  Pretty neat event, with some pretty cool guys showing up.  Like Ohio George, Bruce Larson, Al Joniac, Hubert Platt(he passed away last year)and others.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

17 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Weather looks marginal now....but I'm making the trip.  Beaver Bob still runs this event.

Bob sold the place last year I think my buddy said.    New guy has been doing a bunch of improvements to the place I guess.   I've only ever been there 1 time, just to haul his car their.   Good luck with the weather, like you said not looking real good.   

54 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Trailer brakes work excellent.

Unfortunately I hurt transmission in car so no extra money for truck transmission.  Ugh....that racing.

What did you end up doing to your trl brakes?     That sucks about car tranny.  Didn't you have issues last year with it too?     

All new brakes and turned the drums.

Ya, I broke it last year.  This was just stupidity of not addressing an issue and it caused failure.  I'm not always the brightest bulb in the pack.  If it wasn't muddy and wet I likely would have jacked the car up and got under there and adjusted the shifter and not had problems.  Oh well.

IMG_20180419_195929323.jpg

IMG_20180418_113025171_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180414_100346219.jpg

• Like 1

Larry

I should be able to run the Pinto next year at the FE Meet. Got a line on a turn key Shotgun engine from an old pro stock,  just need to locate a Hilborn set up for it.

• Like 2

P.T.CHESHIRE

15 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Trailer brakes work excellent.

Unfortunately I hurt transmission in car so no extra money for truck transmission.  Ugh....that racing.

OK Driver.  Now that you have trailer brakes,  Don't flat spot the tires!

Sorry to hear about the trans.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I used to have the gain maxed out to get any brakes.  By the time I got to the other side of PA I had to crank it down to about half.  It was overheating the resistors and you could smell it while driving around town.  Works really well.  Very happy with it.

Larry

13 hours ago, 41chevy said:

I should be able to run the Pinto next year at the FE Meet. Got a line on a turn key Shotgun engine from an old pro stock,  just need to locate a Hilborn set up for it.

Shotgun as in Boss 9?  That is what I typically hear it as.   Not referring to FE Cammer or Sohc.

Larry

I blew up my 8.2 Detroit hotshot tractor with hydravac trailer brakes,started running my friends single axle Cabover "binder" with air brakes.Had to make up something quick! Bolted a big truck brake chamber(non maxi) to a piece of channel iron linked to a single master cylinder from an old Ford pickup! Damn thing actually worked!

Badass Paul.  Sorry it won't be able to run at FE Reunion with that 9 in it.

Someone had a Mustang funny car there for sale.  Rough, real rough.  Roller, no motor.  Forgot to take picture.

Bill, Beaver Springs PA.  Over by Carlisle.

That setup you made is how many smaller diesel pusher RVs are set up.  Air over hydraulic.  Just a chamber hooked to master cylinder.

Larry