whats the boost limit

2000CL713

Im not planning on upping boost at all. Was just curious like posted above since you dont see alot of talk about it like you do on the cat side of things. Just got me thinking what the limit is of these motors. Seems like not many know since its a raod no one ever been on. Iv had macks for the last 15 years and I never upped boost passed whatever the factory files are or even injectors other then stock. Doesnt hurt to ask and wonder lol

• Like 1

new resized.jpg

Only knew one guy who set a new standard for boost and power out of a PLN. Jimmy Stewart "Red Eye Express". Buddy I grew up with, and went to tech with, worked at Cummins. When Jimmy came to dyno they could not stop the spin-out. Sent him home and said "bring a loaded trailer next time". Truck still broke loose on the dyno. He would not let us (dealership) touch the engine. Only had me rebuild a differential he demolished. The underside of truck was lined with extra coolers so you could barely crawl around. Never got a clear pic of what he had done. He died and truck disappeared. Teacher at Mack training in Chicago use to talk about the truck at our sessions. Wonder if the rig is still bouncing down a highway somewhere? Had a huge painted graphic on sleeper......, half-closed, bloodshot eye that spanned the width of the back. 

wow. sounds like a setup that would be interesting to look at and see what he came up with. 

few mounts back when i thought i had a turbo problem i was looking into these switch-blade turbos. i talked with one of those guys and they where saying my motor could handle 50psi without a problem and the turbo they would spec me is the same one they use on a c15. also said the stock injectors would work fine as well with the added boost over stock bc with the added air it would be more efficient. now whether or not i believe that last part they told me is still up in the air lol but when they told me the price for the setup i didnt care to think on that anymore since it was like $4000 and i wasn't about to spend that on some turbo and few parts. 

new resized.jpg

6 hours ago, 2000CL713 said:

wow. sounds like a setup that would be interesting to look at and see what he came up with. 

few mounts back when i thought i had a turbo problem i was looking into these switch-blade turbos. i talked with one of those guys and they where saying my motor could handle 50psi without a problem and the turbo they would spec me is the same one they use on a c15. also said the stock injectors would work fine as well with the added boost over stock bc with the added air it would be more efficient. now whether or not i believe that last part they told me is still up in the air lol but when they told me the price for the setup i didnt care to think on that anymore since it was like $4000 and i wasn't about to spend that on some turbo and few parts. 

Sounds fishy. Turbos aren’t a one size fits all device. IMO....A 15 is too volumetrically different than a 12 to call it a cake walk cross-fit

We switched from a restricted AI turbo to the one your running on the 2000. The character of the torque band and horsepower was repositioned. The comparison was very close in terms of boost max. In four weeks, assume road limits go on up here, I’ll be upping to a 5” exhaust. Expect 30’s, mid.

yes it does sound a bit fishy unless the have done testing on these motors and know this for a fact its very questionable

i wish we still had our CV713 just to see what it could do with all the upgrades like turbo/manifold/injectors/exhaust like some guys have done here. having the small intercooler and rad was always its down side.  

new resized.jpg

IMO- You currently have a better set up than your Granite. Granted, that 713 you had sounds like a pretty custom ride. Too much screwing around with CV713. You don’t have the bump BS and you don’t have to manually “re-map” your fueling with your XT.

We have a couple logging/chipping brothers up here that did everything right in the 90s and bought a small fleet of Mack’s to offset their earnings. Some trucks got parked in a shed for years, right off the lot. Every morning on the way to work I see three, PLN & E-Techs, 90’s-02, 427hp, Mack CH613, mint condition, rolling 98K of sticks to Wisconsin Rapids paper Mill. Still killing it, 70 MPH, right next to the latest and greatest EPA casterstions running along-side them. Probably making more $$$ per mile. 

oh yea. forsure, that's why we sold off that CV instead. we had them at the sametime but would still been nice just to see what that truck would been like set up with those upgrades. ours was a 05 or 06. other wise the truck really never gave us a problem. the only real issue we had was the cooling system. the fan was always on. fucking thing sounded like a jet plane non-stop bc it would never shut off and cracked few coolant tanks.  but i heard later on they came out with fixes for both these problems i heard from guys that still had there CV's. just CB chat so i never saw with my eyes what the changes where. 

thats funny you say that. had a guy few weeks back in a sterling. not sure of what model or year it is. i don't keep up with there crap. fucking trucks are always falling apart all over the place. we where on the same job. his truck is geared to hit like 90mph. i also have no idea what motor or trans but its a manual. so we are both on the highway. he was behind me. so he thinks hes big and bad bc his truck can "so called" do 90. and he pulls out in the left lane and wanted to pass me lol so i said fuck it and drop the hammer and i just blow pass him. he was so mad when we got to the pit lol i told him "not bad for a almost 20 year old trunk" lmao, my CL might not have all the cool fancy shit the newer trucks have or have as nice of inside but it sure can hold its own. if i had the 427 file in it at the time this would have ended differently. that 427 just didn't do it for me. 

i have no idea what my truck tops out at. my speedo goes to 77mph and then stops counting for whatever reason. i talked with mackpro about it and he said to check the speedo sensor. might need adjusting but i know it was doing WAY over 77 that day lol 

• Like 1

new resized.jpg

HA! aint that the truth.  

since i got you here mach-technician whats the recommended time to change a harmonic balancer? mine is the original one from 2000 with 600k miles. also do they made a better/upgraded one i should look into?

new resized.jpg

I've never seen anyone PM those. They are soft centered and usually bend when your using a pry to remove them. If there is no physical damage or issues that trace to vibration.....leave it alone. First time it needs to be removed for a procedure (seal, cam, etc) your mechanic will destroy, then replace, it for you.